Margarita recipes

BigNick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I make a margarita at home, I always use what I learned as the classic recipe:
2 parts Tequila
1 part Triple Sec or Cointreau
1 part fresh lemon juice

But it makes for a very short drink (unless you want to drink half a pint of spirits).

Our American friends use a variety of margarita mixes, but these are all horrible (HFCS, artificial everything).

Does anyone have good recipes using non-proprietary ingredients ***but no strawberries*** for making a margarita into a reasonably refreshing drink instead of a sour Martini ?

(Right now I'm drinking one to which I've added 4 parts of grapefruit juice. It's not bad.)

We usually add one part orange juice to your recipe and lots of ice. In the US it is a frozen drink so the blended drink is far "taller" than if it was just served on the rocks.

You are probably going to think this is horrible, but it works for DW.

I make frozen margaritas about once a week.

Fill blender with crushed ice.
A couple of tablespoons of Lasco Lime mixer (lime crystals that are generally used in margarita machines.)
1/2 bag unsweetened lime flavored Kool-Aid mix.
4.5 oz white tequilla
4.0 oz Minute Maid Limeade concentrate
Top off with Lemon-Lime Gatorade
Mix to smooth consistency.

Makes about two quarts.

We are about 4 or 5 hours from the next batch. :)

2 parts tequila (100% agave silver)
1 part Cointreau or Grand Mariner
2 parts lemon-lime mix
(equal parts fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice and simple syrup (sugar dissolved in water)
The simple syrup cuts down on the sour part. I also double the lemon-lime portion for those who wish to take it slower on the alcohol consumption.

When I make a margarita at home, I always use what I learned as the classic recipe:
2 parts Tequila
1 part Triple Sec or Cointreau
1 part fresh lemon juice

I never knew lemon juice was in a classic margarita.

The "classic-to-get-drunk margarita recipe" that I remember fondly is a can of frozen limeade, an equal amount of tequila tossed in a blender, then ice added, and maybe a quarter-can triple sec for the first batch; whirr for a minute or so and voila! Instant hangover.

Last edited:
You are probably going to think this is horrible, ...

You're right! :eek:

Margarita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The IBA (IBA Official list of Cocktails) standard is 7:4:3, that is, 50% tequila, 29% Triple Sec, 21% fresh lime or lemon juice.

The drink is served shaken with ice, on the rocks, blended with ice (frozen margarita) or without ice (straight up).

Freshly squeezed lime juice is the key ingredient.

I've never had a margarita made with any kind of mix that I thought was worth drinking. Fresh lime juice has always been the key. I've never had one with lemon juice, one ref said to skip/reduce the Triple Sec or Cointreau if using lemon juice.

We do them blended, so the ice 'stretches' the drink quite a bit.

-ERD50

Here is a recipe a friend of mine passed to me. While I think it is "heavy", thought I'd share due to the ingredients...

6 ounces Tequila
2 or 3 ounces Triple Sec
6 ounce frozen Lime Ade
6 ounces beer

It's the beer I thought interesting. For me the frozen Lime Aid is heavy...
The one I like that is not heavy is similar to the ones above.

1/4 cup Tequila (give or take)
1/8th cup of so of Triple Sec (give or take)
Add tequila mixJose Cuervo to make it equal a cup
Splash of orange juice
Salt glass
Add ice
Pour contents
Drink up....

I've tried others but they are either too sweet, too sour or too heavy for me.

sheehs, I've seen that recipe for beer in a margarita and it sounds refreshing. Have you ever had a michelada--

Michelada: A Beer Cocktail With Bite | Half Full - WSJ.com

The building blocks of a Michelada are as follows: a salted rim, a savory tomato-based mix, lime juice, hot sauce, a salty seasoning like Maggi and/or Worcestershire sauce (known south of the border as "salsa inglesa") and, of course, beer (typically a light lager), all served over ice.

Quite tasty but those I've had are a little too spicy for me.

I don't have a recipe but what I would suggest is googling recipes for non-alcoholic margaritas and then add as much tequila as you please.

Back in our younger days, DW and I would spring for a margarita now and then. Really got a liking for them. DW's sister was a bartender and she did right by us. Maybe it's a good thing we moved away from that area. I haven't indulged in a margarita since, but you guys got me thinking again. I am going to print out all these reciipes and then get the stuff. I'll try most of them. No beer margaritas.

tequila - 20 oz
triple sec - 10 oz
limeade - 24 oz frozen
squirt/grapefruit soda - 24 oz
water - 0 -32 oz depending on how strong to like them

Place in a plastic bucket and set in freezer; stir occasionly when slushy.

DW has a favorite one from the Sweet Potato Queens' Big-ass Cookbook:

1 can Minute Maid frozen lime concentrate. (NO SUBSTITUTES)
1 can white tequila (measure in the empty MM can). DW likes Sauza Silver.
1 12 oz Corona
1 12 oz 7-up

Stir.

Serve in salt-rimmed glasses.
Wipe rims with lemon.
Put kosher salt on a saucer.
Rub the rims in the salt.

I prefer the classic recipe myself.

This isn't really an answer to the question, but has anyone else tried SkinnyGirl Margaritas? Considering how much lower their calorie count is, they're quite good! Just pour over ice and there it is.

At least around here, it is all the rage this summer. When I went looking for it recently, the manager of the liquor store told me he's going through 10 cases a week of this stuff!

DW enjoys margaritas, but I haven't learned how to make the one she likes at home. I wonder if "at home" has anything to do with it. The recipe she seems to like the most uses Mexican lemons, which look more like limes but taste more like lemons and are different from typical US limes or lemons. Key limes are similar to Mexican limes.

I grow a variety called Bearss lime. Large lime, turns yellow outside when ripe, so looks a bit like a lemon, but super juicy and sweet. The best lime, bar none, for my taste at least. When I have a big crop, I take them to my local bartender friends at the establishments we frequent and they love 'em.

Getting beyond the mix question, for a quality 'rita (on the rocks of course!), it needs a quality reposado tequila. I'm partial to Cazadores, but will use Jimador or Corralejo. 1800 seems to mix well (the standard Cadillac tequila), smooth taste, although I wouldn't choose it to sip straight. Different reposados obviously give you a variety of tastes in the drink, and while it comes down to personal preference, some clearly stand out. I wouldn't generally go with anejo, but I make an ultima rita that uses a plata/anejo combo finished off with a Tuaca float that is very fine. I prefer Cointreau to Triple Sec, but with a Grand Marnier float, the triple sec is OK. I also like my regular margie to be a pink caddie, that splash of cranberry really blends in well.

This is the best Margarita recipe ever. It takes a little planning and a little more time, but they are the best I have ever tasted.

Combine and refrigerate the following for at least four hours (and can be as long as 24 hrs. prior to serving):

4 tsps of lime and lemon zest
1/2 c. lemon and lime juice mixture (I use more lime than lemon)
!/4 c. superfine sugar
Pinch of salt

Strain the juice into a cocktail shaker and add:

1 c. Tequila
1 c. Triple Sec

Shake and pour into glasses with ice.

There isn't a better Margarita to be found!

This isn't really an answer to the question, but has anyone else tried SkinnyGirl Margaritas? Considering how much lower their calorie count is, they're quite good! Just pour over ice and there it is.

At least around here, it is all the rage this summer. When I went looking for it recently, the manager of the liquor store told me he's going through 10 cases a week of this stuff!

Yes, I enjoyed a bottle of it, earlier this summer. I had to go to 3 different places over a couple of weeks, in order to find it. I was told that they could not keep it in stock.

This is the best Margarita recipe ever. It takes a little planning and a little more time, but they are the best I have ever tasted.

Combine and refrigerate the following for at least four hours (and can be as long as 24 hrs. prior to serving):

!/4 c. superfine sugar
Pinch of salt

1 c. Tequila
1 c. Triple Sec

mmmm - I like the idea of the lemon/lime zest in there. I will give this one a try, thanks! (maybe less sugar, will compare to other recipes?)

-ERD50

!/4 c. superfine sugar
Pinch of salt

1 c. Tequila
1 c. Triple Sec

I think you need the 1/4 cup sugar. It is not a sweet margarita. I hate those. I have used splenda before and it tasted great. So I guess you could make your own skinny margarita.

Back
Top Bottom