Biking in the Dolomites

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just returned from a bike trip to the Dolomites, the Tyrolean Alps in northern Italy. We spent a few days in Venice, rode for a week staying in great hotels, and then spent an afternoon in Verona before coming home. This has to be one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. And the biking is fantastic - well maintained bike paths run up and down the valleys and cross the passes. While riding we stayed in Cortina, Brunico, and Merano. The area is more Austrian than Italian with 90% of the locals speaking German as a first language. Here are a few pictures. You can enjoy a slide show on my Flickr site. I'm on the left in the first shot, DW is next to me and the couple we traveled with on the right.

Attachments

• Dolomites2011-243e.jpg
    Dolomites2011-243e.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Dolomites2011-118e.jpg
    Dolomites2011-118e.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Dolomites2011-185e.jpg
    Dolomites2011-185e.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 13
Gorgeous. How were the uphill portions?
The uphills were easy. The trip up the pass from Cortina was rail trail, so slow and steady. I did one real grinder up a road in Brunico to our hotel but that was a well defined optional ride. We had one long downhill ride with a bus back to the hotel and another day where we took a bus an hour and a half up into a pass and then rode back down and through the valley. VBT is by and large for easy going cruisers, not serious distance or speed freaks. But they go to beautiful places with great food and wine. :)

We've enjoyed hearing about our good friends' VBT trips--they speak so highly of the whole experience.

Wonderful pictures; it really seems a beautiful area. I have been interested in seeing the area since I read A Farewell to Arms many years ago, and we were recently contemplating a hiking trip there (put on by Country Walkers) for next summer, but we opted to go to Rome in February instead.

Don, fabulous pictures. Thanks for posting!!!!

Great pictures, thanks for posting and your report.
We are more "downhill" bikers, so we usually chose biking trips that follow a river.
Some time ago we did the Etsch tour that goes through Merano and ends in Verona.
I can also recommend the Danube, from its origin in Germany to Budapest.

Outstanding scenery. Just wondering how the weather was at this time of year. Even though it was peak summer I would imagine in the mountains it would still have been rather pleasant.

Outstanding scenery. Just wondering how the weather was at this time of year. Even though it was peak summer I would imagine in the mountains it would still have been rather pleasant.
It was nice in the mountains - upper 60s in the morning up to low 80s in the afternoon. The last day was rain in the 60s most of the morning and sun and 70s in the afternoon. By now it is probably 60s and 70s.

Loved watching your side show. Beautiful scenery and looks like you had a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom