Qwest and Outlook 2010

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am spending the week at my daughters with our NEW granddaughter! What a joy!

I have my laptop with me and can connect to their wireless and receive email fine, but cannot send it. Qwest became Centurylink, but Qwest still has the accounts.

Anyway, I know I need to change the outgoing SMTP, and possible the authentication and ports, but does anyone know to what?? Desparate to get this working and neither Qwest or Century link had a clue.

Is this the outfit?
Home - Welcome to CenturyLink

If so here is there Outlook guide:
Outlook 2007: Adding a new account

On the Internet E-mail Settings window, enter your information as follows:

User Information
Your name:
Your name
E-mail address: e-mail address

Server Information
Account Type: Pop 3
Incoming Mail Server: pop.centurylink.net
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.centurylink.net

Logon Information
Username:
Full email Address
Password:
Password (Case Sensitive)

Click Remember Password.

Click More Settings

Thank you both for you efforts. I had found these and even called both Centurylink and Qwest. But this is not the info I need.

I use Outlook 2010 for me email. When I am home (charter ISP), then I have to set the outgoing SMTP, authenticaiton and ports one way. WHen we go to the cabin, I need to reset the outgoing for SMTP, authenticaiton and ports angain for that carrier. I suspect it is the same for Qwest, just unable to determine what.

I no it took me awhile to determing these -- not sure why this has to be so hard. :-(

I no it took me awhile to determing these -- not sure why this has to be so hard. :-(
It has to be so hard because you're using Qwest and Outlook. I had some Qwest experience when I was helping my father with his apartment, and I don't understand how that company is still in business.

As for Outlook... don't you get enough of that at work?

You might be pleasantly surprised by GMail. (Upgrading from Hotmail was like coming out of a cave into the sunshine.) If you absolutely must have an e-mail archive of everything on your GMail server then you could use Thunderbird or possibly back up GMail to Outlook.

But if you use GMail then you won't have to have a graduate degree in TCP/IP to be able to connect to the Internet...

If your daughter's ISP is not Quest (or CenturyLink), you are attempting to use one ISP to access another ISP's email servers, which many ISPs do not permit -- but I don't know for sure what is the Quest/CenturyLink policy. My ISP (Verizon) does not allow subscribers off-net access to Verizon's pop mail servers -- so I can't just tool over to Starbucks or McD's and expect to use OutLook Express on my laptop.

The best option for you is to see if Quest/CentruryLink provide a webmail interface, and use that for the short term. A longer term solution is to use an email service that is independent of ISP service, and you have already had some suggestions pointing you in that direction.

Edit to add: The reason many ISPs do not allow off-net access to their outgoing email servers is to reduce SPAM.

Oh, congratulations on the granddaughter!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom