2 Inspiring Retirement Stories in 1 Day!

Parr0thead98

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, at my unit's T-Day luncheon today and see a Civil Service guy who used to work for me and retired 1 yr ago. He's a Vietnam Vet and almost 40 yrs civil service to boot! OMG, he looks at least 10 if not 15 years younger! I told him I have never seen him smile sooo much. He said, "Col, the ship's leaving, you otta get on board, it's great on the other side!" I said, "Charlie, if you only knew how much I've been thinking about retiring lately...the ship's not leaving me, I'm actually trying to become the skipper!"

On a more inspirational note, just got home from a Wounded Warrior recognition dinner and the guest speaker is a medically retired Army Sgt who got hit by a suicide bomber inside a Children's Hospital compound in Baquaba, Iraq in 2003. He was speaking about his struggle with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and how his "after wife" (her description of herself when she got up to speak...his first wife divorced him and took his $100K insurance payment and paid for her wedding to another soldier...nice, huh?) and he were doing in retirement. Spoke to him afterwards tonight and he said it's really great being retired, on his good days, that is. Wow! Where do we find Americans cut of this cloth...truly inspiring.

Gotta tell y'all, this board is not good for my military career...I'm really starting to believe the "signs" coming my way that I'm meant to cross over to the other side!

Just wanted to share my day.

Cheers,

Parr0thead

Back
Top Bottom