How Americans are rethinking Prosperity

I hope it's true, it would be a healthy shift for a culture that's largely tried to buy happiness for several decades. Clearly not a news flash on this site though, ER is about trading less money for more life experiences...

For me, money and "prosperity" has long represented financial security more than it has represented a more "lavish" lifestyle.

Although I have been guilty at times I believe we are a nation and culture driven by consumption gluttony. It is a difficult habit and mind set to break. Maybe the current economic climate will create somewhat of a renaissance effect, which would probably do us all some good.

Last edited:
We see that a lot in people in West Virginia. Many certainly are smart enough to go somewhere else and have much higher incomes but don't want to give up the more laid-back lifestyle.

One lady left NYC and her $250k/year exec. position to run a muffin shop near here. She's happy with the choice.

We see that a lot in people in West Virginia. Many certainly are smart enough to go somewhere else and have much higher incomes but don't want to give up the more laid-back lifestyle.

One lady left NYC and her $250k/year exec. position to run a muffin shop near here. She's happy with the choice.

While we were in the UK this year there was a little coffee shop that we loved, in a small village about 5 miles from us that we used to walk to from time to time over the moors. The owner was a woman, probably in her early 40's, and while chatting with her one visit, after complimenting her on her home made scones, she told us that she absolutely loved her job. Three years earlier she had decided that she was fed up with being a divorce lawyer and decided she wanted a simpler, more laid back lifestyle.

Three years earlier she had decided that she was fed up with being a divorce lawyer and decided she wanted a simpler, more laid back lifestyle.

Yea - good for her. Working with unsatisfied clients, drama queens and kings, and other lawyers in a highly hostile environment is stressful albeit well compensated.

I was not impressed with the article. It does not introduce any facts about the state of prosperity.

But I am always impressed by comments under an article. Here is a gem:

You'll never see a hearse with a luggage rack on it so, you might as well help those in need around you if you have the wealth to spare.

A different version of what I was taught growing up. You never see a hearse with a trailer hitch so you cannot take it with you!

you cannot take it with you!

But you can try..:D

img_1134354_0_75d10eeab49b8e27dcd0f78a88e7415d.jpg

I can related to this. I feel burnout. Accumulating more wealth is no longer a driver.
Three years earlier she had decided that she was fed up with being a divorce lawyer and decided she wanted a simpler, more laid back lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom