This I believe

Onward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay, I had some time to kill today.

This I believe...

1. For most people, a job is better than unemployment, but only barely.

2. There's no such thing as a good job. There is only the necessity of acquiring and maintaining personal resources. If you love your job today, just wait until that new policy is implemented, or that new manager is hired.

3. Young people should not be trying to "find themselves." They should be building up a financial fortress against the desperation and despair of the corporate experience that awaits them.

4. The subjects that students study in college have almost nothing to do with the day-to-day experience of working at the jobs that those subjects typically lead to.

5. Though there are many different industries with many different names, there is really only one job, and every worker has it. It's called "Dealing with Difficult People."

6. Since the vast majority of people have self-discipline problems, it is wise to over-withhold taxes during the year and receive a big refund, as long as the refund is immediately invested.

7. Most people spend their entire lives looking for the lightness of being they had when they were 17. Most never find it.

8. That most students leave school without any understanding of compounding interest or asset classes is abominable.

9. Morning commute: 150 million desperate faces steering metallic liabilities toward places they don't want to be, full of people they don't want to be with.

10. The modern world has a plan for you. It's to smother you spiritually in ways that are hard to identify and culturally unacceptable to articulate. Your only hope of finding any shred of freedom or serenity is to think differently.

:)

hmm, that feels like a screenplay by Roger Waters ;-)

Okay, I had some time to kill today.

This I believe...

1. For most people, a job is better than unemployment, but only barely.

2. There's no such thing as a good job. There is only the necessity of acquiring and maintaining personal resources. If you love your job today, just wait until that new policy is implemented, or that new manager is hired.

3. Young people should not be trying to "find themselves." They should be building up a financial fortress against the desperation and despair of the corporate experience that awaits them.

4. The subjects that students study in college have almost nothing to do with the day-to-day experience of working at the jobs that those subjects typically lead to.

5. Though there are many different industries with many different names, there is really only one job, and every worker has it. It's called "Dealing with Difficult People."

6. Since the vast majority of people have self-discipline problems, it is wise to over-withhold taxes during the year and receive a big refund, as long as the refund is immediately invested.

7. Most people spend their entire lives looking for the lightness of being they had when they were 17. Most never find it.

8. That most students leave school without any understanding of compounding interest or asset classes is abominable.

9. Morning commute: 150 million desperate faces steering metallic liabilities toward places they don't want to be, full of people they don't want to be with.

10. The modern world has a plan for you. It's to smother you spiritually in ways that are hard to identify and culturally unacceptable to articulate. Your only hope of finding any shred of freedom or serenity is to think differently.

:)
You are such a Pollyanna.

You forgot the most important one: The glass is half empty.

I would disagree with almost every one of ten, but to each their own.

Isn't this why most of us want to retire early?

No way! He didn't blame everything on the death of his father or the cruelty of war.

11. Sooner or later they will get you to trade a walk-on part in the war for a leading role in a cage.

:D

11. Sooner or later they will get you to trade a walk-on part in the war for a leading role in a cage.

:D

That just isn't fair, Onward. Adding extra numbers to the list. But I can match your game of morose Waters quotes!:cool:
Give any one species too much rope and they'll **** it up.

and the Germans kill the Jews, and the Jews kill the Arabs and the Arabs kill the hostages and that is the news.

It all makes perfect sense expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence.

It's a lead role, actually.

Not that I spent a lot of my younger years listening to Wish You Were Here mind you :)

Actually, the fortress I refer to in #3 is just like a "Wall." While working and saving for FIRE, I constantly pictured myself placing bricks in a wall that would keep the Insanity out. Every paycheck was another brick.

Many folks do not realize that they are one of the difficult people that others have to deal with.

I'm glad you said "most people". For me, it was one of the worst years (in one of the worst periods) of my life.

I'm infinitely happier today (at age 64), then I was in those teen years.

But then, it was another time, and another place…

There's no good job or bad job, only necessary job.

Maybe they should have watched movie "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" when they were 17?

That just isn't fair, Onward. Adding extra numbers to the list. But I can match your game of morose Waters quotes!:cool:
Give any one species too much rope and they'll **** it up.

and the Germans kill the Jews, and the Jews kill the Arabs and the Arabs kill the hostages and that is the news.

It all makes perfect sense expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence.

Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died.

And the general sat and the lines on the map
moved from side to side.

That always struck me as one of the most succinct, yet impressive anti-war statements I've ever heard. Paints a picture (that no one wants to see or acknowledge).

-ERD50

I agree with 3½ of them, but that's not important to either one of us...

Sounds like the OP is an introvert and prime for this board, one of those INTsomething folks. I was 'lucky', I liked my job and would have stayed on if my old boss was still there. In 35 years of work I had 2 two year periods where I 'worked for a jerk', not bad by most standards. And it only got better when I became financially independent, jerked proof my work life.
For me FI is more important than RE, once you are FI work or not as you see fit.

Funny, but I discussed this topic with the 50-year-old FIOs installer just two weeks ago. He was trying to advise his college-aged daughter on a career choice, and after he described her being back and forth trying to decide between pursuing her love of teaching and some other more lucrative career into which he was trying to steer her, we both blurted out, "Yeah, at the end, it's about maximizing the dollar while minimizing the amount of pain."

"Yeah, at the end, it's about maximizing the dollar while minimizing the amount of pain."

Bingo. And all while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity and dignity.

If only the little darlings knew what they were in for. On second thought, maybe it's better they don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom