Texting while Walking - Oops

I think time for a new law against texting and moving. Just kidding.

Maybe from that video, areas with such hazards as a stationary fountain should post warning messages on the ground. Kidding again, but I hope that isn't something in the future.

I am sorry this woman shouldn't be allowed to walk and chew gum, and absolutely shouldn't be allowed with 100' of TV camera.

Just a few days we met someone for lunch, and a couple of hours earlier they had texting me to confirm the time. When we met up I told them that they should be glad to know that I practiced safe text, and when the message rang in on my phone, I stopped cycling to read it and respond.

A few weeks ago we were driving home one very dark evening and passed a suicidal cyclist who was dressed in black, and the only light that was showing was from his phone which he was holding up and obviously in the process of texting.

This happened a while ago, I recall the video being shown on TV shows and Jay Leno making fun of her.

Not sure who I despise more, the woman or the lawyer she hired who willingly took on the "case." I hope a judge dismisses the case quickly.

I wonder what the suit was about, other than that the woman might be claiming that the release of the video caused her embarrassment.

I am not a lawyer to know if there is any precedent to the liability of releasing a surveillance video tape of a public scene. But if this woman did not step forward to claim her "5 minutes of [-]infamy[/-] fame", nobody would know that the [-]idiot[/-] victim was herself.

I think time for a new law against texting and moving. Just kidding.

I think that there should be such a law. I am surprised at how many people cross the streets while texting apparently oblivious to all traffic (motorized and pedestrians). There are some states that ban driving and texting. Why not texting and moving for pedestrian?

NW-Bound said:
I wonder what the suit was about, other than that the woman might be claiming that the release of the video caused her embarrassment.

I am not a lawyer to know if there is any precedent to the liability of releasing a surveillance video tape of a public scene. But if this woman did not step forward to claim her "5 minutes of [-]infamy[/-] fame", nobody would know that the [-]idiot[/-] victim was herself.

I'll bet she's suing the mall for not having warning signs about the fountain and about the dangers of texting and walking, and not having barriers around the fountain, and keeping the water too cold .

It's not just texting and walking into stuff.

When a person is preoccupied and oblivious to their surroundings, they become the perfect target to be robbed or beat up. Bad guys look for easy targets and easy pickings. You need to be aware of your surroundings if you want to survive in this society, especially in a big city. People texting and gabbing on the cell phone make good targets for these predators.

Last edited:
I think that there should be such a law. I am surprised at how many people cross the streets while texting apparently oblivious to all traffic (motorized and pedestrians). There are some states that ban driving and texting. Why not texting and moving for pedestrian?

No offense intended (I realize you're trying to achieve a general good thing), but this drives me crazy. When people have an objection to anything, the first response is always "there oughta be a law!"

We have way, way too many laws already. Why don't we start with repealing the Kentucky law against carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket?

Common sense should be required of all citizens.

Wouldn't that require a new law also?

Ha

:LOL:

Actually I think there is such a law, certainly in the UK.

Contributory negligence in common-law jurisdictions is defense to a claim based on negligence, an action in tort. It applies to cases where a plaintiff/claimant has, through his own negligence, contributed to the harm he suffered. For example, a pedestrian crosses a road negligently and is hit by a driver who was driving negligently.

No offense intended (I realize you're trying to achieve a general good thing), but this drives me crazy. When people have an objection to anything, the first response is always "there oughta be a law!"

We have way, way too many laws already. Why don't we start with repealing the Kentucky law against carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket?

I agree with this, but I have to say that when I see someone driving on the freeway and texting, it makes me think that too many people just don't have common sense, and somehow we need to be protected from them.

Yesterday I saw someone driving and talking on his iPhone and then periodically looking at the screen. Talk, look, talk, look. What do you think he was doing? Was he texting with a speech-to-text app??

I agree with the "too many laws" comment. +100

A friend of mine is an ex-cop. He used to say "we have laws against driving while this and driving while that. All we really need is one law for driving while stupid".

All we really need is one law for driving while stupid".

They have exactly that in the UK, it is called "driving without due care and attention", and covers all the stupid stuff drivers do.

Alan said:
They have exactly that in the UK, it is called "driving without due care and attention", and covers all the stupid stuff drivers do.

I'm guessing that our laws against reckless driving are the same thing. law against texting while driving just makes it easier to prosecute. Avoids "Yes, my client was texting while driving, but she is very good at multitasking..."

Texting through a flood :)

Attachments

• Pattaya_Flood_9.jpg
    Pattaya_Flood_9.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom