Unicycle for core and cardio

Grizz

Recycles dryer sheets
My small business is growing so about 8 months ago I moved myself from a position where I performed quite a lot of duties requiring physical coordination to a more sedate supervisory role (desk jockey). Though I workout 4 times/week, and am quite "fit", my agility level had taken a serious nose dive and it worried me.

DW's boss is a nurse, competitive cyclist and 40-something like me.. He explained a lot about core strength and it's role in keeping us "cat-like", and that learning to ride a unicycle would help my situation greatly. I borrowed his, and after a couple hrs practice I was hooked and ordered my own.

I do get my share of good natured circus jokes, but that's ok. Riding a unicycle is an incredible workout for pretty much everything between your knees and ribs. The best part is that it feels almost surreal to learn a completely new and fun skill in my 40's.

Just thought I'd share that story in case there are other members who either are looking to improve agility and general health, or just want to try something completely new.

My small business is growing so about 8 months ago I moved myself from a position where I performed quite a lot of duties requiring physical coordination to a more sedate supervisory role (desk jockey). Though I workout 4 times/week, and am quite "fit", my agility level had taken a serious nose dive and it worried me.

DW's boss is a nurse, competitive cyclist and 40-something like me.. He explained a lot about core strength and it's role in keeping us "cat-like", and that learning to ride a unicycle would help my situation greatly. I borrowed his, and after a couple hrs practice I was hooked and ordered my own.

I do get my share of good natured circus jokes, but that's ok. Riding a unicycle is an incredible workout for pretty much everything between your knees and ribs. The best part is that it feels almost surreal to learn a completely new and fun skill in my 40's.

Just thought I'd share that story in case there are other members who either are looking to improve agility and general health, or just want to try something completely new.
That's an impressive achievment! Congrats.

That's an impressive achievment! Congrats.
+1. I love to ride my bicycle, but I'd be afraid of falling from a unicycle. Wish I could try it, congrats...

Ripsticking seems safer.

It does sound fun. Wish I knew someone who had one that I could try. I will keep this in the back of my mind, as something to try.

My impression is that is would not be good for mountain biking or hills. But, I can see the advantages. But, I think if I were to have the opportunity to use a unicycle I would probably prefer roller blading instead (also suck on hills). But, when it is too muddy for mountain biking in our local forests I just go for very long hikes using 2 ski poles which after 20 km (about 2 hours at max speed) is a great way to lose weight. We live in a very hilly deeply forested area north of the largest lake in Europe and I can't see how I could possibly manage a unicycle here. But, it sounds intriguing. How are hills, both going up and down, and perhaps the latter is harder? We have a bicycle trail that goes completely around the lake but still has quite a few minor hills.

He explained a lot about core strength and it's role in keeping us "cat-like", and that learning to ride a unicycle would help my situation greatly. I borrowed his, and after a couple hrs practice I was hooked and ordered my own.

Wow, it must also do wonders for your balance as well and would probably help ones golf game. As to core strength, I'll stick to doing squats and dead difts, as I'd be too afraid of major injury on a uni:D

My impression is that is would not be good for mountain biking or hills. But, I can see the advantages. But, I think if I were to have the opportunity to use a unicycle I would probably prefer roller blading instead (also suck on hills). But, when it is too muddy for mountain biking in our local forests I just go for very long hikes using 2 ski poles which after 20 km (about 2 hours at max speed) is a great way to lose weight. We live in a very hilly deeply forested area north of the largest lake in Europe and I can't see how I could possibly manage a unicycle here. But, it sounds intriguing. How are hills, both going up and down, and perhaps the latter is harder? We have a bicycle trail that goes completely around the lake but still has quite a few minor hills.
Actually, mountain unicycling or "Muni" is gaining in popularity. There are clubs dedicated to it. One is about 3hrs from me. There are specially designed unicycles for that purpose and they can go pretty much anywhere a mountain bike can, and even a few where you couldn't take a mountain bike. You'd need to be an advanced rider, and I'm definitely not there yet (if ever), but to see what is possible, look up municycle on youtube. The guru of muni is named Kris Holm, this guy almost defies physics and it's definitely worth looking at some of his videos.

I rode a unicycle as a kid. I even rode it in my elementary school play. I found it hard to learn and tiring, even as a 12 year old. There is no relaxing as you are on it.

You're expecting anyone in this crowd to ride a unicycle?:ROFLMAO: I look pretty pathetic on the uni here, but what do ya want for the first time back on after 30 some years.

Havin more fun with stuff like Indo boardin, windsurfin, kiteboardin, since there is always a new easy trick to learn though a hard fall on the keeester is always possible for the land stuff. Lately been getting back into skateboard sailing. Working up to a duck jibe and using my tail keel for pivot spins. If you miss a grab you still go boom boom

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 5
  • skatesailer2.jpg
    skatesailer2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
  • skatesailer1.jpg
    skatesailer1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow, that's impressive, very cool! Now is probably a good time to mention that anyone learning (or making their first attempt in 30 yrs) should really consider a bike helmet, gloves, wrist guards, and knee pads.

Way to go, Dave! Now we want one with you juggling!

Is a duck jibe easier on the skateboard than on a sailboard?

Wow, that's impressive, very cool! Now is probably a good time to mention that anyone learning (or making their first attempt in 30 yrs) should really consider a bike helmet, gloves, wrist guards, and knee pads.
Ooops, forgot the audience I’m speakin to, but your absolutely right! Speaking of which, for my fellow 50somethings: in addition to helmet and pads I would also suggest 3 layers of long clothing, one spotter on each side, advance notice to your pain management doctor and next of kin,......and then kick back and enjoy a glass of wine because there is no way in hell you are going to even think about doing this. And let's face it, wine consumption is something we're so much more experienced at..... (joking aside, wear safety gear, and don't be afraid to test yourself!)

Is a duck jibe easier on the skateboard than on a sailboard?
Ummmm, no.

Now we want one with you juggling!
Haven't juggled in 20 years or Indo'd for a while, and never both at once, but aaah what the heck (just for you Al!)......and yes Ma, I'm wearin me helmet:)

IndoJuggle.MOV - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom