Old nuke ready to check out

rbmrtn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Greetings, long time reader of many years, just never got around to signing on.

Age 52, single, no dependents, no debts
House puchased in 2002 $175k, paid off in 2007. Do not count it in assets or retirement planning, it's just a place to live.

1.5M in assests ( house not included ). I'm a LBYMs person. Spending last couple of years is ~$16K/yr.

Nuclear engineer, spent 25yrs in commercial nuclear power industry. Left megacorp utility Jan 2008. grew tired of corp BS, reorgs, downsizing, 1hr daily commutes, 12hr days 7 days a week, on call 24x7, high stress etc.

Took a job as a computer systems/network admin for a couple of medical clinics. Easy work, low stress, 5 minutes from the house. But life is short and I'm tired of working on someone elses clock.

Major obsticle is HI, like so many others. Since I left megacorp before official ER age I don't get health benefits ( will get a small pension at 55 ).
Seems being 50yrs + is automatic rejection.

Hope to add something to the discussions here.

Welcome, rbmrtn! Sounds like you'll fit in here just fine.

omni

Hi rbmrtn, welcome to the forum. Look forward to your participation. If your biggest challenge to ER is health care, like many of us, hopefully your concerns will soon be resolved.

Another nuke. Hmmm...no matter. You're still welcome here :LOL:

Welcome to the forum! 16k is some serious LBYM considering a couple grand has to go to insurance and property tax. Are you saying you aren't able to secure a high deductible HI plan? Maybe the new healthcare act will benefit you soon.

Welcome. I'm also from MS, only on the the other side of the state. What are your plans? Travel, golf, fish?

Back
Top Bottom