Can You Help Me Decipher This Flea Market Find?

nico08

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi:

I purchased these three Chinese prints yesterday at my local Good Will. I thought they were nice to look at, and I think that is the most important thing about art, that it is nice to look at.

Any I attached photos of the three prints. I was wondering if anyone can decipher the Chinese lettering that is one the prints. Each one has different Chinese lettering. Is this the signature of the artist? Do you think these prints have any value?

Thank you for your guidance.

Attachments

• DSCF1517.jpg
    DSCF1517.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1519.jpg
    DSCF1519.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1521.jpg
    DSCF1521.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1523.jpg
    DSCF1523.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 7
Not sure of the writing, but from my time in China, I believe that the red section are the 'chops' (stamp) of the owner of the print.

It would not be unusual for an old print to have a dozen chops as one owner passes it on to another over time.

I like them too, Midnighter. Whether they are of value by collectors or not, I think these were a great find.

They are 4 seasons. Well, you only have 3: winter, fall, summer.

You may want to go back and see if they keep spring somewhere.

I apologize. Typed too fast without reading carefully. They are winter, fall, and spring.

What you are missing is actually the summer.

I have the same set - well it looks like the same set. I have all four pieces. They were my Mother's and Father's - about 50 years old. Never had them appraised though... Are the back still sealed (paper covering).

Possibly Korean rather than Chinese?

They are traditional style Chinese painting. The characters are in Chinese. But as to the origin, I can not tell since hundreds of years ago, Koreans and to some degree Japanese scholars also produced their paintings in Chinese style.

If they are authentic old Chinese painting from well-known painter, the OP can comfortably enjoy a very financially freedom retirement. :)

Disclaimer: I am a native speaker of Chinese, naturalized US citizen for 25 years.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try and go back to the store tomorrow and get the fourth season. I might have missed it. But I think there were only three. Oh well.

If you have a smartphone there is an app called "world dictionary"that claims to be able to translate languages if you can photograph the text.

Back
Top Bottom