bethesda

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am going to Bethesda md. in a couple of weeks for 4 or 5 days. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there and what to see. I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the hotel and any places close to it to eat, see, etc.

hop on the Metro, head to D.C. and enjoy the sites there.

+1

Bethesda is 99% an office and residential suburb of DC. There are some decent restaurants of course, but I think you'd have much more fun and variety in DC.

The Smithsonian has something for just about everyone. Here's a link to the official site that includes information about all the museums and current exhibitions: Smithsonian

Contact your representative in the House or Senate for a special guided tour of the Capitol building. I'm a local, but the best tour I ever had was when family came in from out of town. Their representative's office treated us to an excellent tour that included many things you wouldn't usually see. Here's a link with information about the tours: http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/visit/tour_information.html

Last edited:
I have been to Bethesda many years ago on a business trip. As other posters have noted,there are not too many exciting places there, although I am sure one can find decent restaurants. About going up to DC, if the OP's short stay of 4-5 days does not span a weekend, I don't know how one can visit and see much in the evenings.

I'm familiar with the area. While there is lots of shopping and restaurants nearby, they are expensive because real estate prices are stratospheric there. For an inexpensive meal hit the deli at the Giant Food store a few blocks away.

You'll be very close to a Metro (subway) station so take that into DC for the more interesting stuff.

If timing is wrong for museums, taking the subway downtown to walk along the mall at night is quite nice. Can walk from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol seeing the Vietnam Memorial and much else in between. On another night can get off at DuPont Circle to hang around there and then head up to the Zoo to metro back up to Bethesda.

If you don't want to bother with the metro, there are so many sidewalk cafes to check out in downtown Bethesda. It's the neighborhood behind your hotel (not along Wisconsin). If you do want to stay in Bethesda and are interested in urban change, consider walking to the Bethesda Library on Edgewood and taking that street back into the neighborhoods. It's an area where relatively small brick colonials are being transformed into a mega-mansions. The architectural variety (and choices made) are striking.

Enjoy!

I live in Bethesda -- there are a lot of restaurants in the area around the Metro station. My favorite not-expensive places are
  • Cafe Deluxe -- good inexpensive American food -- especially the sandwiches
  • Matuba (Japanese) -- best for lunch - $15 all-you-can-eat rotary sushi bar
  • Bethesda Crab House -- if you don't mind a real mess!
All of these are easy to find on Google maps and are all within walking distance of your hotel.

In terms of things to do, Washington DC is probably more interesting. The National Zoo (free) just north of Adams Morgan Metro station is really nice. And the museums on the National Mall (free) are too numerous to absorb in one trip -- some of the best art museums in the world, and more. And the famous monuments.

I hear from people that the crime rate is very high in the bethesda and dc area. Is there anything to worry about where I will be around the hyatt?

There shouldn't be as long as you use the normal common sense. Bethesda itself is generally a low-crime area but of course that doesn't mean there is none.

Like any large city D.C. has some areas where it isn't safe without an armed entourage but as long as you stay in the tourist areas you'll be fine.

There shouldn't be as long as you use the normal common sense. Bethesda itself is generally a low-crime area but of course that doesn't mean there is none.

Like any large city D.C. has some areas where it isn't safe without an armed entourage but as long as you stay in the tourist areas you'll be fine.

Agree with Walt. I've lived and worked in the DC area for decades. Bethesda is a nice area. Most of DC is fine, but naturally there area parts of the city that have high crime rates. Talk to folks at the hotel about the area around the hotel and stick with popular tourist attractions in the city.

As far as city crime rates go, DC is somewhere in the middle of the pack: Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout

Bethesda has an extremely low crime rate, one of the lowest in the entire DC metropolitan area. Whoever told you it has a "very high" crime rate doesn't know what they're talking about. There are no streets near the hotel which are unsafe. None. And FWIW, virtually all of DC between the Bethesda Hyatt and the White House in downtown DC is pretty safe.

Last edited:
I am at the hyatt regency right now and have been walking around the area for the last three days and I am impressed. the people are friendly, lots of places to eat. everyone you talk to is courteous and helpful. I will definitely stay in bethesda anytime i am visiting in the d.c. area.

Back
Top Bottom