Poll: Do Raw Onions Make You Sleepy?

Do Raw Onions Make You Sleepy?

• Yes - I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz after the witch casts that sleepy spell

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No - Don't know what's the deal with onions and sleepiness

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • N/A - I don't eat raw onions

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Why is it when I eat raw onions, it makes me want to take a nap?

From what I've read, this is not a universal thing. After raw onions, some folks get sleepy like me while others have no effect and think I'm pulling their leg.

Poll time: Do raw onions make you sleepy?

I used to think onions made me sleepy, but I figured out it was the Wurzburger lager that I had with them doing it.

Ha

Yes, but it seems to have more of an effect on those around you.
I have always enjoyed a good sandwich of raw onion slices and Limburger cheese on rye bread, but afterward, I have often heard "Not tonight, dear, I'm really sleepy."

My hypothesis is that the soporific effect of the onions must tend to manifest itself at a certain distance, but I haven't yet figured out the exact mechanism. Further research is needed, I guess.

For me, it's cooked onions - when combined with chip steak, cheese, hot peppers, and steak sauce - all in an italian roll.

Weighs about two pounds, and is better known as a Philly Steak Sandwich :LOL: ...

Yes, but it seems to have more of an effect on those around you.
I have always enjoyed a good sandwich of raw onion slices and Limburger cheese on rye bread, but afterward, I have often heard "Not tonight, dear, I'm really sleepy."

My hypothesis is that the soporific effect of the onions must tend to manifest itself at a certain distance, but I haven't yet figured out the exact mechanism. Further research is needed, I guess.
I know you live in Cincinnati. I went to high school there, final two years. There was a beer garden named Mecklenburgs, in the Mt Auburn area as I remember. That was one of their sandwiches, along with a grilled hamburger about the size of a baked potato. I loved Limburger too, and my Dad pretty well lived on it, when he wasn't eating head cheese or pickled pigs feet or sardines. I never saw a McDonalds until the late 60s, at least not to know what it was. My life was pretty old school.

I think that Mecklenburgs is long gone, but some outdoor beer gardens persist around town. Very nice on a warm spring or fall day, under the grape arbor. Last one I was at is on Spring Grove Avenue, just starting up out of Northside. My BIL was driving, but that is what I seem to remember.

Ha

Last edited:
Mecklenburg Gardens is still thriving and popular.
Oh, cool. I tried to drive around and find it last time I was there, but I was remembering it as being farther east than it is. Looks pretty much the same as it did 50 years ago.

Ha

I love raw onions (with a little salt) but they don't make me sleepy. DW always gets make at me when I pick out raw onions when she is preparing a recipe that includes them and eat them.

I actually used to eat them like an apple when I was a kid.

They don't make me sleepy. They make me cry.

Love raw onion but they don't make me sleepy.

I had some onion, not raw but in soup, a few hours ago and I'm still waking up :)

I love raw onion but eating it before bed would eliminate everything other than sleeping as DW despises raw onions!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I rarely eat raw onions with the possible exception of a thin slice on a burger. But I have never noticed that they make sleepy. Too much concentrated sugar (as in candy) does make me sleepy however.

I only eat raw onions in tiny amounts - like on a salad or in a taco. Never noticed a sleepy affect.

I prefer larger onions chopped and sautéed in a little olive oil. I will eat raw thin sliced red onions in a salad. My favorite is the fresh green onions (scallions) snipped small and put on salads, eggs, on a baked potato, and as a garnish for soups. I regrow the grocery bought ones, and grow my own from seed.

No sleepy effects. Only an increase of gaseous output. ;)

Back
Top Bottom