Folk Music

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was lucky enough to see The Steel Wheels at a house concert in New Braunfels
The Steel Wheels They were amazing and have become a favorite group of ours and our grown punk loving children. They do a bike tour each year, biking and carrying their instruments. Their album Redwing is outstanding.

The topic of folk music reminded of a jewel of a relatively unknown movie named "Dogfight" with the late River Phoenix. Folk music soundtrack was a nice addition to the movie and the topics encountered in the movie touch on the period very nice, IMHO.

Interesting thread. While I definitively think of Joni Mitchell as a folk singer/songwriter (among other styles), I don't think of that track, 'Woodstock' as a folk song.

I'm kinda funny when it comes to 'folk music' - I love much of it, but I really don't care for a lot of it. Much of the 'pop' folk is too sweet for me. I like the stuff that really reflects what I'd call 'Americana'.

IMO, one of the all time best folk songs ever, performed by a master:

Steve Goodman : City Of New Orleans (Live 1972) - YouTube

Don't have time to dig up links, but here's a small sampling of songs that many would not call 'folk music', but I feel they are, as they reflect 'Americana':

The Band: King Harvest, Acadian Driftwood, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Grateful Dead: Uncle John's Band, Friend of the Devil

and many more.

OK, Acadian Driftwood is soooo good, had to link:

The Band - Acadian Driftwood - YouTube

-ERD50

I'm pretty fuzzy on the genre definition too.
For example, at what point did Bob Dylan morph from folk to [whatever he's considered today]?

The Folk Song Army by Tom Lehrer - YouTube
Now Tom Lehrer, he is my kind of folk singer.

I can remember being at weekends on Block Island, or Martha's Vinyard or some other terribly posh summer place and all the serious folks sitting around a fire singing we shall overcome, or Michael rowed the boat ashore.

Enough to make you retch, but it did seem to make the girls somewhat more eager to get undressed later in the evening.

Ha

Folk music immediately brings to mind Simon Diaz, a Venezuelan whose who's music is as timeless and amazing as his life simple and humble. Gipsy Kings, very well known in the US, took one of his songs, thinking it was an old Spanish folk from the 1800's, rearranged it and turned it into their first big hit - Bamboleo.
Caballo Viejo - Simon Diaz with English subtitle - YouTube

Gipsy Kings took a long time to acknowledge it was his, and true to his humble nature, he never asked for royalties, only acknowledgement.

Enough to make you retch, but it did seem to make the girls somewhat more eager to get undressed later in the evening.

What, the folk music or the Boone's Farm? :rolleyes:

Now Tom Lehrer, he is my kind of folk singer.

I can remember being at weekends on Block Island, or Martha's Vinyard or some other terribly posh summer place and all the serious folks sitting around a fire singing we shall overcome, or Michael rowed the boat ashore.

Ha

C"mon, baby, let's row the boat ashore...

Woody Guthrie - 1945 - YouTube

Different note... I grew up with Tom Lehrer from 1955 to 1957. Came down from Maine to visit my girl friend... now bride, at Sargent College in Harvard Square... There was a bar... (damn... can't remember the name) where the students hung out... block from Harvard Square... (please help on this... driving me crazy). Dimey beers, long narrow bar... Lehrer would be about in the middle, giving forth with those incredible lyrics... "Be Prepared" or "I got it from MaryJane" ... These were impromptu sessions... just luck, if you were there... In '56 and '57 there wasn't a single person at my school, who didn't know every word, every song, by heart.
Part of our culture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom