Calling Indiana Jones - Roman Artifact or Personal Memento?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
<snip>

Last edited:
Uh oh.

Antiquities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The export of antiquities is now heavily controlled by law in almost all countries and by the 1970 UNESCO Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property
My advice is to package it in a plain brown wrapper and mail it to the nearest Italian embassy - with no return address.

<snip>

Last edited:
Uh oh.

Antiquities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaMy advice is to package it in a plain brown wrapper and mail it to the nearest Italian embassy - with no return address.
+1

Like I said, I found it in 1969...

My bold

After long and tense negotiations and several scuttled agreements, Peruvian president Alan Garcia and Yale University have announced that a collection of over 4,000 Incan antiquities taken from Machu Picchu between 1911 and 1915 by professor Hiram Bingham III will return to the South American country.

Ah, at Last...

we find the Rosetta Stone - v2. Just what we have been searching for all these Millenia !

We can now unlock the ancient languages and ancient writings. We can now un-encrypt the methods of interplanetary travel and interplanetary Alien invasion. A new Epoch dawns..

It won't be long now...

Thank you so much Midpack !

Last edited:
<snip>

Last edited:
I'd still want to follow up a bit more. Why not contact the archaeology department at Purdue (hey, I assume Indiana Jones taught there)?

It might be of some interest to them, and as long as you don't try to make money on it, I really doubt there would be any consequences to having it in your possession. If there is any value or even a passing interest, I'm sure they'd rather have it in a collection than in your sock drawer.

They may even decide to take it back the next time someone at the University travels to Rome. And you can ease your conscience, knowing you did the right thing and amended this unintentional 'wrong'. I know it's gnawing at you ;)

-ERD50

So now your posts have been edited/deleted?

What's up?

-ERD50

And here I was wondering what kind of artifact you might have found in Las Vegas. :facepalm:

After long and tense negotiations and several scuttled agreements, Peruvian president Alan Garcia and Yale University have announced that a collection of over 4,000 Incan antiquities taken from Machu Picchu between 1911 and 1915 by professor Hiram Bingham III will return to the South American country.
Threadjack: Hiram Bingham III was descended from Hawaii's first group of missionaries and grew up local. He graduated from Punahou (admittedly a few decades before Obama) and helped Peru bring the world's attention to Machu Picchu. Although by today's standards he was plundering the cultural antiquities, by Peru's early 20th-century standards he finally brought to fruition a project (and a huge pile of revenue) that they'd been pursuing for over 20 years.

Hiram Bingham III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All this "snip".

Maybe it was the leftover from a Roman Bris.

Take a lesson from the British who [-]stole[/-] removed many artifacts from Egypt. They were keeping them safe from grave robbers. :rolleyes:

Archeology = Legalized grave robbery

Lots of 'snip' entries, so I can't tell how OP's artifact looks. But one thing I hate is going into local antique stores and finding things there that are younger than I am.:(

Back
Top Bottom