DNA testing for ancestry

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm intrigued by the idea of knowing where my genes come from.
Has anyone here done this?
There are apparently lots of purveyors; any recommendations?

I got some sort of genetic profile of ancestry from National Geographic a few years back. It just confirmed that I was among a huge migration across Asia, into northern Europe and down eons ago. It doesn't get down to the specific country let alone narrower than that so it wasn't very interesting. I can't remember for the 23&me thread whether ancestry data is detailed. Check over there.

Here's a comparison of three companies from the National Geographic Genographic Project website:

I’ve had my DNA tested through other genetic testing sites like Ancestry.com and 23andMe. How do my Genographic Project results differ from theirs, and why?

The Genographic Project is a research project of the National Geographic Society, which encompasses work carried out by our scientific team to elucidate new patterns of human migration, as well as public testing through the participation kits. Our testing focuses on deep ancestry from an anthropological perspective. It is not primarily a genealogy testing service, such as that offered by Ancestry.com, although you do have the option of seeing how you are related to other participants in the Our Story section. 23andMe is primarily a medically focused testing company, examining markers that are associated with disease risk. While they do offer some insights into ancestry, that is not their primary focus. The genetic technology we use for our testing is a custom-designed genotyping chip optimized for the study of ancestry, with far more Y-chromosome and mtDNA markers than are available with any other test. Our autosomal markers are similarly optimized for inferring ancestry, rather than medical testing, and we feel that it is the best technology available for this purpose.

I worked at a Dept. of Energy DNA sequencing laboratory for 15 yrs. I learned a lot about DNA sequencing. There is no harm in investigating genetic ancestry. I would guess that there is quite a bit of data out there to give you some interesting results. However, I would definitely avoid doing this for medical/health reasons. It is still way too early to do this as an individual. It only make sense to do this with the advice a trained genetic counselor who can help make practical sense of the results.

When I was a kid, I though that it was odd when we moved from New York to California and still had the same plumber.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom