What are you wearing in retirement ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I find my wardrobe has evolved into a kind of uniform of chinos , silky t shirts and ballet flats for some days & yoga pants & tees with sneakers for gym days or pretend gym days ( when I dress for the gym but go grocery shopping ) . So what are we all wearing in retirement ?

Depends on the situation. But definitely comfort comes first.

After wearing suits to work almost every day for years and years, in retirement I wear yoga pants, tees, and sneakers almost exclusively, all year 'round. (I live in SoCal -- a pretty casual place, dresswise.)

Bow tie and thong underwear. :cool:

Yup, definitely like those yoga pants. Much better than sweatpants.

images

I wear whatever I feel like wearing, but the focus is on comfort.

I find my wardrobe has evolved into a kind of uniform of chinos , silky t shirts and ballet flats for some days & yoga pants & tees with sneakers for gym days or pretend gym days ( when I dress for the gym but go grocery shopping ) . So what are we all wearing in retirement ?

Snap!!

I did have to buy a tutu for my ballet workout on Mondays.

I wear either shorts and t-shirt or shorts and a nice shirt (but never a shirt with buttons all the way down the front) pretty much year around here in the Philippines. I wear tennis shoes with no-show socks or nice sandals.

When I go out at night to some place nice I will usually put on long pants. Last evening I went to a nice restaurant and then an IMAX movie so I wore long pants with a nice shirt (but it has no buttons). I even brought light jackets for my date and I to the theater because they are often air-conditioned too strongly but we didn't need them. We saw Jack the Giant Slayer, highly recommended!

I'm wearing all my old jeans and T shirts, even if they have holes, although I did pull out some businesslike stuff last week when I did some consulting. Clothes spending so far since ER has been $5 for a pair of pantyhose. And that was a "just in case". I hate the things! Dry cleaning bill: $0.

Comfortable clothing and no heels. Gym clothes, yoga pants etc.

Except I had to buy heels and dressy dresses for some weddings last year and this year.

T-shirt, jeans and clogs in the winter; t-shirt, shorts and sandals in the summer.

As part of my de-cluttering about 6 mos. after retiring a year ago, I had the best time ever getting rid of all of my work clothes :dance:.

Most days jeans (or jean shorts), t-shirt or golf shirt, sneakers. If I need to get "dressed up" I'll wear chinos, a golf shirt and boat shoes.

Once I retired, I gave away all my suits and ties. Once we moved, I gave away all my winter gear. Now, I own 2 pair of pants (primarily for the long plane trip to the midwest or if I get an invite to a military base.) Otherwise I wear shorts and T-shirts (for dress up, I wear Aloha shirts with the shorts). I do NOT own flip flops as I must wear orthotics (inside my "running' shoes.) My small side of the closet has a total of 20 shirts, 4 shorts. Her side... is steadily encroaching on my side.:facepalm:

Life is good. YMMV

Several years before I retired, we started going business casual most days, ie, khakis and megacorp logo polo shirts. As they began to show age, I brought them home (from Japan) and put thm in the closet for eventual ER and use while out working in the yard. I've got northward of 20 polo shirts and 10-15 khakis. As it warms up, I'll switch to khaki shorts and left over t-shirts with my old running shoes for working in the yard, and flp flops for lounging around the veranda and pool. In the summer, I'm also considering pulling on the running shorts first thing in the morning, going for a run, followed by a dip in the pool and a quick rinse with fresh water, and then just wearing those clothes all day while I putter around...I stay outside most of the day anyway.

I still have 6-7 suits, a couple dozen long sleeve business dress shirts, and north of 100 neckties. I will wear these to church on Sunday for the next 20 years.

BTW, my dad retired 10 years ago at age 67, and is still wearing his old work uniforms for puttering in the yard.

Our annual clothing budget is about $3600(for the two of us)...I'm only two months in, but it looks like we won't be using that much.

R

Mostly jeans and t-shirts, long or short sleeve depending on the weather or days activities. I did wear a shirt with buttons the other day and it really felt odd getting dressed. I've recently, my son thinks it's funny, started wearing suspenders because I've lost some weight and belt not working as well as it should! Should have tried these years ago! DW draws the line at shoes with velcro ties so I just wear slip-ons.

Back
Top Bottom