Retirement Zen ?

Thanks for the article. I agree with most of what he says except about becoming an entrepreneur. To me, that's not retiring, Just my opinion, though.

ERhoosier said:
Some interesting points, but contradiction too. Sure it's nice to live in the moment (Zen), pursue your passion, and avoid doing what you hate. But not sure how one can advise only spending 5 or 6min/day thinking about finances (#1) yet suggest opening a business (#7).
In #1, he was referring to "personal finance," not business related. I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.

In #1, he was referring to "personal finance," not business related. I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.

But for the small business person, their personal finance is often tied up with their business (e.g. home equity loan invested for business capital). I know many who are in that situation.
Guess I agree with David that becoming an entrepreneur is not my idea of 'retirement'.

I guess you'd then be eligible for a "ZenMasterCard"

Okay, I owe an apology for that one.

Ran across this today-
10 secrets: Retire a spiritually happy millionaire - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch

Some interesting points, but contradiction too. Sure it's nice to live in the moment (Zen), pursue your passion, and avoid doing what you hate. But not sure how one can advise only spending 5 or 6min/day thinking about finances (#1) yet suggest opening a business (#7).

I think Mr. Farrell must be going thru some kind of existential meltdown. Every column of his for quite a long time now has gone on and on about how the end of the world is just about here and nothing will be left - doom and despair be our lot usually due to some built in flaw of the capitalist system.

Yeah, yeah it is all true. If you can live your passion and succeed you will be happier than if you slog along at something that isn't your passion. Unfortunately, lots of people try to live their passion and fail and lots more couldn't identify their passion if it banged them on the head, with or without a life coach. How does all this pablum work for them?

Yeah, yeah it is all true. If you can live your passion and succeed you will be happier than if you slog along at something that isn't your passion. Unfortunately, lots of people try to live their passion and fail and lots more couldn't identify their passion if it banged them on the head, with or without a life coach. How does all this pablum work for them?
Stretch goals? Sometimes that's a good thing...

I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.

OMG, I probably use up my 6 mintues of thinking about my personal finance before 8am each day and that's because I don't wake up until 7:30am and I don't think about much of anything until "after" my first cup of coffee.. :)

Thanks for the article. If I interpreted it right, Mr. Farrell is providing advice on how to live before retirement, in order to one day retire as a "spiritually happy millionaire"...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom