Unrealistic life expectancy?

chief04010

Recycles dryer sheets
In anticipation of FIRE at age 59 ½, I have been doing a lot of calculations to see if I’ve saved enough. I’ve noticed this is a very normal and popular thing to do when nearing retirement. Anyway most of the calculators out there want you to choose a life expectancy. I have used various ages from 85 to 100 and I think I’ll do ok as long as I don’t break any world longevity records. But realistically I’ve been taking notice of how old famous people are when they die, I’ve seen ranges from 60’s to 90’s sometimes there is a abnormally young or old death but most seem to fall somewhere in the 70 – 85 range. Makes it obvious why you get the promise of a big monthly SS check if you wait till 70. My own life expectancy is about 83 according to one insurance calculator I used, and I have to say I think the insurance companies are pretty good at figuring this as their bottom line is at stake. So why do FA want to make it seem like you will live to be 100 and need enough savings to take you 10 years beyond that? Perhaps I’m just imagining that people seem to think they are going to live to very ripe old ages or maybe I just have too much time to think about this stuff. Anyway excuse my rambling. On a personal note: my father died at 60 ( WWII wounded vet, many outside health issues, smoking etc.) my mother made it to 88, although the last 5 years were not very good, I’ll consider myself lucky to make 85. So as the saying goes, when I retire I figure I’ll have 20 good years left.

In my case, I do not want to show up at my daughter's house, hat in hand, if/when I am 83 (or whatever my actual life expectancy may be).

My present financial plan goes to age 95, and if I get to my 80's I will re-vamp my financial plan at that time to take me over 100. That will mean some cutting back but I will still have enough to be 100% self sufficient.

As for how long I will actually live, an expectation unrelated to financial planning, that is a different matter. I have a family history of longevity, but then one can never tell. I guess I expect I would probably die in my 80's? but I will always have hope for a few more years.

Even tho I don't know what tomorrow will bring, I finally chose the 'termination date' at 90 years old.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :whistle:

I obviously understand that I cannot be immortal, but I run a non-amortizing perpetual portfolio plan. There is just something I do not like about a drop dead date.

Ha

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may come a point where medical science can halt or reverse the aging process. I've heard people in the field discussing that we may see something like this in our lifetimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_lifespan

I obviously understand that I cannot be immortal, but I run a non-amortizing perpetual portfolio plan. There is just something I do not like about a drop dead date.

Ha

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may come a point where medical science can halt or reverse the aging process. I've heard people in the field discussing that we may see something like this in our lifetimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_lifespan

Hot dog, I'll be the first to sign up! So the rest of you will just have to form a line behind me.... :D

Hot dog, I'll be the first to sign up! So the rest of you will just have to form a line behind me.... :D

No way! Once I'm done, I'm done. And I don't want to be reincarnated either.

Now get off my lawn! :LOL:

No way! Once I'm done, I'm done. And I don't want to be reincarnated either.

Now get off my lawn! :LOL:

Oh goodie, does that mean I get an extra reincarnation? No such thing? Oh well. But when I go it will be only with a whole lot of kicking, screaming, and protests on my part. :D

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - D. Thomas

Now there's a thought experiment: What happens with all those COLA'd DB pension plans that are counting on their beneficiaries to die on an actuarial schedule?

Hey, a deal's a deal, right?:LOL:

The good news is even if you live to 100 (or 200!!) it doesn't change by a lot how much you need to retire now (due to the power of compounding).

My own life expectancy is about 83 according to one insurance calculator I used, and I have to say I think the insurance companies are pretty good at figuring this as their bottom line is at stake.

The insurance company doesn't need to figure out your life expectancy, just the average of a bunch of people like you. Your job is much more difficult with much less certainty and much more variability.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may come a point where medical science can halt or reverse the aging process.

I've been hearing that kind of stuff for decades. I'm pretty skeptical.

Otoh, perhaps I need to figure "head freezing" into my retirement plan budget.

Interesting. I saw an article on this subject just a few weeks ago. It seems the human body is made so that it can't survive more than 120-some years at the outside. In other words, we all have a built in expiration date.

Two points that most on this board probably already know.

Actuarial life expectancy is a median number. I read somewhere that the increase in SS payment for each delayed year (around 8%) is "actuarially" sound. So if you think you'll live longer than the median life expectancy, it pays to wait.

Also, as you age, your actuarial expected age at death also increases. ie. my life expectancy today at age 53 is 29.3 yearsn for an age of 82.3, but if I was 70, it would be 16.4 for an age of 86.

Pop died at 92 but he did not take particularly good care of himself. Mom died 20 years earlier of environmentally caused cancer. I am planning for 95, but you know what they say about planning. If I make 80 standing up, I will be happy.

With everything around us becoming digitized, and the exponential power of computing, I wonder if our brains could become digitized too. Then I wondered if I would push that button to give myself that kind of everlasting life.

I used 95 for financial planning purposes, mainly to cover my DW.

I have no need/wish/want to live to 95. I hope I have shuffled off this mortal coil long before that. Wasn't there a deoderant commercial or something that had a line "just a quick pfffft will do it"? That's what I want (a quick pfffft, not some deoderant! :rolleyes: ).

Ha
+1. I don't plan on running it out. That said, all the hype about increasing longevity is overhyped. Most of the gains in life expectancy is from fewer childhood deaths. Lifespan has increased a bit but not dramatically. A lot of biotech optimists talk like we will all be seeing decades more life span than our parents but it looks like BS to me. We can't launch a web connection to a few government and health insurance databases and we expect to fine tune our biological machinery in the next decade or two? Gimme a break. Maybe at the end of the 21st century.

Aging is a process that we currently don't understand very well. For some reason, the human body is aggressive about repairing itself when young, but as it ages it stops those aggressive repairs. It's very possible that that behavior can be changed.

It may be something as simple as tricking the body into thinking it is actually 20 years old instead of 80.

Obviously its a long shot, but like I said, I wouldn't rule it out.

I potentially have 40 years of time for them to figure it out. My toddler daughter may have 80. That's an awful long time, considering that we've only had the microprocessor for about 40 years.

+1. I don't plan on running it out. That said, all the hype about increasing longevity is overhyped. Most of the gains in life expectancy is from fewer childhood deaths. Lifespan has increased a bit but not dramatically. A lot of biotech optimists talk like we will all be seeing decades more life span than our parents but it looks like BS to me. We can't launch a web connection to a few government and health insurance databases and we expect to fine tune our biological machinery in the next decade or two? Gimme a break. Maybe at the end of the 21st century.

Back
Top Bottom