Greetings Kindred Spirits/Birds of a Feather

Green Hornet 21

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello. This introduction is hopefully the first of many future posts. I am 53 married and planning to retire in the next 12 to 18 months. When I left college in the mid eighties I had 2 goals . To enter the corporate world and work my way as far up the ladder as possible and to be in a position to retire by 40, later revised to 50. As I toiled in the early hectic years of my career at my immediate goal, I never lost sight of my long term goal, early retirement. I credit this more that any action I have taken as the reason I am so close. Having achieved a finance executive status after 28 years in the corporate world, I am now ready to start my initial decent. My wife retired as an educator last year. We have a 40 foot motor home and pull our 2 motorcycles behind it. We are physically fit and enjoy cycling hiking and jogging. We plan on taking it cross country when I retire. We also plan to visit Europe several times after I retire. We do this now but look forward to having a flexible schedule. I am so happy I found this sight which I can hopefully share stories and strategies with like minded individuals. My goal is to have $1 Million in after tax funds with 60% in mutual funds and $400,000 in my 401K by December 2014. I am very close. I also need to work out health care and how I will work part time in the finance world. For a while I look forward to reading and learning from the many experts in this community. I also look forward to sharing what I have learned from studying early retirement over the last 30 years. I will write about saving, investing, planning for contingencies, health and fitness and enjoying the retirement lifestyle. If pressed, I will explain my chosen title of The Green Hornet and it's significance to my success.

Welcome aboard, Green Hornet. Sounds like you've found a like-minded community right here.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts...and you can start with explaining your moniker. :)

omni

My goal is to have $1 Million in after tax funds with 60% in mutual funds and $400,000 in my 401K by December 2014. I am very close.

Your withdrawal for $1.4MM in savings will be in the range of $50K a year. Health insurance will eat $10K to $15K per year. Can you afford your projected life style on $35K to $40K ?

Welcome to the forum. No 'expert' here, but plenty of opinions lol. +1 on the question of expenses. DW and I travel a lot in our RV and love to boondock. I estimate our minimum travel costs about $12k a year - not counting maintenance - and we are frugal RVers. Not being nosy, but wondering if your expectations are realistic; or is there more information you've not provided... Either way, hope you find the group informative. They're a great bunch of people.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Green Hornet. Sounds like you've found a like-minded community right here.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts...and you can start with explaining your moniker. :)

omni
Omni and Gumby, I will certainly explain my moniker in time. However, I should probably attempt a few serious threads so that the community should not have to be concerned about the credibility of a 50 plus year old who draws inspiration from a 1940s comic book character.
I will get back to you on that.

Omni and Gumby, I will certainly explain my moniker in time. However, I should probably attempt a few serious threads so that the community should not have to be concerned about the credibility of a 50 plus year old who draws inspiration from a 1940s comic book character.
I will get back to you on that.
Sorry, you have it backwards. You'll have zero credibility here until you come clean with the rationale behind your user name.

Back
Top Bottom