Change in plans

LinCella

Recycles dryer sheets
I retire in 21 days and my plan had been to move to another town in a few months. The place I wanted - a townhouse cooperative - has a waiting list of 22. I hadn't expected that as traditionally it's usually been 6. So my plan now has a few kinks. I'm trying not to lose hope about it. I am starting a certificate program in January for Instructional Design, will be cleaning out my present place, taking yoga and swimming and generally relaxing.

But now I feel that life is on hold, though I realize it's not - I'm doing things I want to do, just not in the location I want to be at the moment. The townhouse is a good choice for me because I'm not ready to purchase a place. I was really going to try out this town for a few years, save more money, etc.

How not to get discouraged and stay upbeat? Retirement in itself is the goal, but I wanted to do it elsewhere.

Could you afford to just rent there?

We ended up not moving to Missouri as we had planned, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that retirement is wonderful despite that. Once you have settled into your retirement routines and activities, you may find that you are perfectly happy where you are.

Last edited:
Linny,

You may very well find what W2R says. DH and I hoped/expected to move very shortly after retirement. We still have not agreed on a place, but were willing to rent here and there for a 6-12 months. Then, our elderly dog started having problems and we realized it would be totally unfair to her.

A dear friend of mine, who retired from St. Louis to Denver a couple years ago, recently said, Oh yeah, I forgot you are waiting for your dog to die. That is not exactly the way DH and I are looking at it because we are, of course, thrilled to have her with us as long as she enjoys life. But, yep, all plans are on hold right now....but we are not waiting. Retirement is too much fun for waiting.

And, we love each day of retirement! Your time will fill up so quickly with things you enjoy.

Just curious....How far a move will you be making?

Once you have settled into your retirement routines and activities, you may find that you are perfectly happy where you are.

This is great advice and certainly has been true for me. When I was still working I was sure that my SO and I would move after we were both retired. I've been retired over 6 years now (he's still working) and am now content to stay where we are. I've built a new routine with new activities, and don't want to lose that.

Just an hour and a half away, but a world away in attitude

I was planning on moving when I retired 6 years ago. But once I retired I got to know a lot of people in the community. Now such a move is way on the back burner if at all.

Back
Top Bottom