Vanguard "role model" article

Sounds like a good summary. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but maybe Vanguards net inflow gains suggest that investors are slowly getting smarter?

Recently went into a local Schwab branch to setup some banking. Was sitting in the office of a young account executive, his jaw dropped when I told him what my 401k and mutual fund fees were at Vanguard. Didn't even try to offer me anything.

Recently went into a local Schwab branch to setup some banking. Was sitting in the office of a young account executive, his jaw dropped when I told him what my 401k and mutual fund fees were at Vanguard. Didn't even try to offer me anything.
Yea, but Vanguard doesn't send out birthday cards.

That's not good for Schwab since they have competitive index products with similar fees. And often lower initial minimums.

Some Schwab ETF fees are as low as Vanguard's (or a tad lower).

That's not good for Schwab since they have competitive index products with similar fees. And often lower initial minimums.
+1. Schwab should have trained its employees better.

Some Schwab ETF fees are as low as Vanguard's (or a tad lower).
+1. While Vanguard has some long-established funds that I use for benchmarking, Schwab is catching up fast in terms of low cost, and often surpass Vanguard (I have accounts at both), and Schwab has been offering more and more ETFs with no trading costs. I don't know if Vanguard has any fund with expense ratio as low as 0.04%.

Last edited:
+1. Schwab should have trained its employees better. +1. While Vanguard has some long-established funds that I use for benchmarking, Schwab is catching up fast in terms of low cost, and often surpass Vanguard (I have accounts at both), and Schwab has been offering more and more ETFs with no trading costs. I don't know if Vanguard has any fund with expense ratio as low as 0.04%.

When I initially read the opening post yesterday, my first thought was that I could have sworn Schwab had some very low cost funds, but since I have never dealt with them, I thought maybe I was wrong until other posters confirmed this. While handling money is a way of life to people on this forum, it shows that many employees in the field are not informed at all. I had one idiot a few years trying to convince me I was making a mistake by not investing my 403b money into a stock fund. I kept telling the guy I am funneling into a money market to get the tax benefit, then immediately buying service years with it. Seems he didn't understand "market risk" when planning to leave money in for less than a year.

Back
Top Bottom