Investing for minor

hausfrau

Recycles dryer sheets
My DD has a good amount in savings bonds (she is five) earning a little over 1%. I'm wondering if it would be prudent to invest those in the equities on her behalf. We would just transfer the money to our taxable investment account.

I can't imagine what a kid or teenager would use the money for, maybe a car or a class trip? I think most likely the money would be used for college. For FA purposes, the money would be better off in our name anyway. If she goes to a state school we will probably be full pay though.

We have no intention of pilfering the money from DD, btw. :) I would just like to make the most prudent decision on her behalf.

I think that moving the money to your account would send the wrong message to DD. When I was her age, I was aware of my bank account and was excited when I could add to it. Having one's own account is a huge learning opprtunity. Having it taken away, even by parents with good intentions, risks a lack of trust. My suggestion is that you help DD to learn about the basics of compound interest and get her input.

DD does have a bank savings account and an allowance and I do teach her about $. She is only 5 yo though and she mostly likes going to the bank to get a lollipop.

My thought is maybe setting up a fund that is different than something we own so we she can track it when she is older and it doesn't get mixed up with ours.

Why not set up a custodial account on her behalf?

I thought I might do that, but I thought it might affect college financial aid down the road if we needed it. I realize that I'm thinking way off into the future here. :)

Maybe that's a better idea though. She often gets cash gifts for birthdays and holidays and she's getting no interest on her bank savings account. Maybe it'll be a good teaching tool in a few years.

Remember that if you continue holding the savings bonds to the full 20 year maturity the bond will automatically double at that point bringing the annual rate to around 3.6% yearly. I say that only that if you do nothing, it won't stay 1% forever. :)

Thanks for all the input. I never even considered a custodial account and now I'm learning a lot about UTMAs in the archives. I agree about the trust thing. I'd never keep anything a secret. It's her money. I never had this kind of money growing up, so I have no frame of reference.

Maybe I'll just keep things as is for now.

I agree with keeping any funds in your daughters name. Even at age 5 she will understand owning them herself, even if you are the custodian.

When our son was young, maybe 7 or 8, my Dad bought him a share of Disney stock. At the time he got a nice colorful stock certificate. He understood enough to know how to look up the price and see what it was worth. He received small dividend checks and later there was a stock split so he had 3 shares and all of them are worth a lot more now.

Back
Top Bottom