Coffee?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
No words of wisdom... curiosity only:LOL:

from one who has never been to Starbucks:facepalm:

Last edited:
If you're asking who drinks coffee, I do. Oddly enough, this is a complete change of beverage choice for me after retiring. For almost all of my adult life I was a soda drinker first and tended to drink coffee only if nothing else was available. Nowadays I see the benefits of starting my day with a leisurely pot of coffee in the morning.

Love it. Not very picky about it, as long as it hasn't been burned on the "warmer." I mostly drink instant (I said I wasn't picky!)

Love Starbucks bold and Dunkin dark but don't like the cost, more of a treat when traveling.

We bought a Keurig and love it, no waste and I only drink it on weekends, DW drinks all week.

Like it very strong, though.

Also love how they say it is bad for you, then not so bad, then maybe good in moderation.................

Actually, instant SB's is very good.

Five or so cups per day, Kirkland Columbian during the week, and "fresh" ground on the weekends. Regular drip maker, with a Keurig for emergencies...

2.5 cups every morning, 50% regular/50% hazelnut. It puts a smile on and enhances my workouts at the gym.

Started as a kid with cream and sugar. Switched to black when I stopped smoking years ago. love Starbucks Dark, have a Grande most every day......then I switch to water, soda at lunch and back to water for most of the day......most of this is habit but it works for me.

A good cup of coffee is one off the most enjoyable and affordable luxuries in life.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1510660_766412606703053_873837161_n.jpg
    1510660_766412606703053_873837161_n.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 27
I just have a plain Mr. Coffee. I use it a lot less since I stopped working (sometimes not at all).

One (giant) mug before w*rk, then 2-3 smaller mugs at work over the course of the day.

No issues with it keeping me awake - but 23&me says I'm a fast metabolizer of caffeine.

Prefer unflavored, dark or bold, black or with a little milk.

We have a coffee club at w*rk because the swill in the breakrooms is disgusting. We just buy big bags from costco and have our own pot we brew in.

I saw the light on the daily starbucks thing several years ago - but my husband still gets a house coffee there sometimes. We rinse out and reuse the cups when we get home as "to go" cups. We have a stash of 3 or 4 we keep using. Does that qualify me as frugal?

Community cafe blend. Two cups in the morning. Growing up in New Orleans it was said if your coffee wouldn't hold a spoon upright then it wasn't strong enough. Just a slight exaggeration. Beignets anyone.

Pot of Starbucks Sumatra, ground fresh, every morning.

Is there a question here somewhere. :)

My college roommate was a neighbor and childhood friend of Juan Valdez.

3 cups every morning, and a few in the afternoon and evening. I'm not picky about brand, though I don't like Folgers. For some reason, I find Yuban much more palatable, though it is still quite cheap. Maybe I'll go a bit more upmarket one day, maybe not :)

As odd as this is going to sound, I also like instant coffee (like samclem). I drink it very rarely, but an occasional treat is to prepare it the way we used to when I was growing up in England - half water and half milk, or all milk, and a decent instant brand, such as Maxwell House. Must be a product of my upbringing - we drank a lot of instant. Then at some point in the early - mid 1970's, my Mum started experimenting with different ways of preparing ground coffee - an all-glass Kona coffee maker, one of those little aluminum pots that you put on the stove, and regular drip coffee makers. Not sure whether it was because my Mum suddenly became hip to ground coffee, or whether it was because of a broader cultural thing in that ground coffee was being promoted and becoming available more in England at the time.

My grandmother, who was particularly frugal, would re-use the same coffee beans in her percolator until her coffee looked like light brown water. We used to joke about that when we visited her. I could never imagine doing that but then, she would have been in her 30's during the depression. I imagine a lot of habits were picked up by people who lived through that era that were never unlearned.

I saw the light on the daily starbucks thing several years ago - but my husband still gets a house coffee there sometimes. We rinse out and reuse the cups when we get home as "to go" cups. We have a stash of 3 or 4 we keep using. Does that qualify me as frugal?

I believe we have found the third circle of ER lbyming heaven, above straining peanut butter after the jar breaks to remove any glass and below reusing dryer sheets several times!

DH does the same thing with to-go cups. I just can't as he uses cream and I think tiny things are growing in them after what he calls "rinsing them out."

People give me Starbucks gift cards all the time for some reason. I do like the coffee there (I drink it black and have never had a foo foo frappalatte thingie), but it has become a very sterile place in terms of procedures. Very much like McDonalds today.

Ah, coffee! Coffee is one of the few vices that I still indulge in these days, although I can only drink two mugs of half strength coffee before noon if I want to get to bed by 3 AM.

After retirement I did an extended "taste test" by buying and grinding and brewing and trying and comparing almost every highly rated/recommended brand of coffee under the sun. This is the kind of thing that some of us retirees do! :LOL: My favorite turned out to be Dunkin Donuts coffee, which is kind of expensive compared with some brands. However, since I just drink it half strength, I don't use much.

After I have finished my two mugs of perfect (IMO) coffee, I move on to caffeine free herb teas which do not bother my sleep.

Time for that second mug of coffee! :D

Love our coffee rituals and yes it truly is a luxury worth spending a little extra on each day. If you want romance in your life, you can always find it in a cup of coffee. I don't know why, it's magic I guess.

We drink Starbucks Verona exclusively and have since 1999. The French Press is our preferred method of brewing and we even have taken to having it brewed that way on the rare occasion we actually go to a Starbucks coffee house. If you've never done a French Press, it's extremely easy; just boil water and pour into the press and wait 3-4 minutes before pressing. Retains all the oils unlike a paper filter which traps the oils (out comes my coffee snob :)) and makes a great, full-bodied cup of joe. Check out youtube if you're unfamiliar.

How to Make French Press Coffee (Plus Helpful tips) - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom