Natixis Report: Best countries to retire in 2014

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This report was just published.

Natixis Global Retirement Index | Natixis Global Asset Management

Switzerland tops the list, followed by Norway. There is a preponderance of Western European countries at the top, weighted by high healthcare ratings and generous pension schemes. The US is 19th.

I don't think this ranking would be helpful for someone looking to move in retirement. You have to pay into pension schemes over time before you become eligible to benefit. And many if the top countries have a high cost of living. If quality of life in retirement is a determining factor, it's best to choose your country early in life.

This report was just published.

Natixis Global Retirement Index | Natixis Global Asset Management

Switzerland tops the list, followed by Norway. There is a preponderance of Western European countries at the top, weighted by high healthcare ratings and generous pension schemes. The US is 19th.

I don't think this ranking would be helpful for someone looking to move in retirement. You have to pay into pension schemes over time before you become eligible to benefit. And many if the top countries have a high cost of living. If quality of life in retirement is a determining factor, it's best to choose your country early in life.

Interesting. US SS is actually a pretty generous benefit, it's certainly a lot better than the UK equivalent. Health care expense is obvioulsy a big factor holding the US back as it costs so much more in the US when compared to other developed countries.

Being a US/UK dual citizen I have the option to retire in the US or almost anywhere in Europe without having to worry about visas. I've always had a plan to return to the UK one day, but looking at the list maybe Iceland would be fun. I've spend a few vacations there and its an interesting place.

As a dual citizen of Canada (#14) and Ireland (#24) I have lots of options too. If I move anywhere it would probably be back to Ireland. However, becoming a non-resident of Canada would mean a huge tax hit and the cost of living in Ireland is about 15% higher. So I am likely to confine my travels to short term jaunts.

I've always had a plan to return to the UK one day, but looking at the list maybe Iceland would be fun. I've spend a few vacations there and its an interesting place.

Iceland sounds cool. :) I have read that is a very difficult language to master. Is English spoken extensively there?

Iceland sounds cool. :) I have read that is a very difficult language to master. Is English spoken extensively there?

Yes, almost everyone speaks English. They love it when you try to say a few words in Icelandic though. My Icelandic is limited to "Thank you", ordering beers and " hello, do you speak English?" and that was plenty.

Being a US/UK dual citizen I have the option to retire in the US or almost anywhere in Europe without having to worry about visas.

There are some EU linked locations in the Caribbean as well -

IUCN - EU Outermost Regions and Overseas Countries and Territories Programme

The rules seem a bit murky to me between overseas territories, outermost regions, etc, but I think places like St. Maartens would be the same EU passport wise as if you wanted to live in France or the Netherlands.

Last edited:
St. Maartens or St. Martin would be great places to live. Especially if you like plane spotting!

St. Maarten Airport - Landings and Takeoffs - 747 - SPOTTERS PARADISE - YouTube
May 28, 2011 - Uploaded by ClipWingsCom
A summary of a day at famous St. Maartens "Princess Juliana International Airport" back in ...

I visited it in 2012 on a Caribbean cruise. Our tour guide was an ER American who enjoyed having a part time job. He had recently become a citizen of the Netherlands but was able to retain his US citizenship as well. His wife goes to the US once or twice yearly for cancer checkups.

St. Maartens or St. Martin would be great places to live. Especially if you like plane spotting!

Plane spotting! Another activity we could add to our what to do in ER list. :)

I have never been to St. Maartens but from watching House Hunters International and online research it is on our short list of places to check out.

And thanks for the retirement index link. I have been looking over the paper already.

Last edited:

In Reykjavik and the other bigger towns almost everybody speaks English. I did not find it much harder to pick up phrases etc. than other languages. Reykjavik is a great city , but I think I'd want to snowbird for at least a month each year if I was retired there.

it's best to choose your country early in life.

Even more important, choose your parents wisely.
That's quite a list. I consider Switzerland and Norway to be horribly expensive places.

Even more important, choose your parents wisely.
+1. The first of many important choices we need to make and take credit for.

If I were to live elsewhere it would not be another first world country. They all have slightly differing quantities of the same basic ingredients. Developing countries, OTOH, can offer a real escape from the boring predictability of modern developed society. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom