Tax-advantaged accounts

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Many folks here talk about the amount of money they have in tax-advantaged account. To me, it includes the following:

Traditional IRA
Roth IRA
401k and 403b accounts
Municipal bonds
Annuities

The list could be endless, but are there any other obvious (and simple) examples I left out?

Not sure I'd include municipal bonds as an "account", and an annuity is pushing it as well. Though both may be tax favored investment vehicles.

Don't forget 457b accounts which are like 401k and 403b accounts but are for employees of state and local governments.

Similar to HSAs, I had one of those transit reimbursement accounts which were funded by pretax dollars used for payouts of transit-related expenses ("TransitChek").

IBonds - interest not taxed until bond is cashed.

Growth stocks. Appreciation is tax deferred until you sell, then taxed at preferable long term gains rate, or potentially never taxed and heirs receive step up cost basis.

Many folks here talk about the amount of money they have in tax-advantaged account. To me, it includes the following:

Traditional IRA
Roth IRA
401k and 403b accounts
Municipal bonds
Annuities

The list could be endless, but are there any other obvious (and simple) examples I left out?

Ughhh..why do you have Municipal Bonds (generally tax exempt) in a tax advantaged account? :confused:

Ughhh..why do you have Municipal Bonds (generally tax exempt) in a tax advantaged account? :confused:

My choice of words could have been better. Should have not used the word "account". I meant to say that holding municipal bonds in a regular account is tax free, in most cases. The initial post was really asking about ways to grow investments either tax-free or tax deferred.

My choice of words could have been better. Should have not used the word "account". I meant to say that holding municipal bonds in a regular account is tax free, in most cases. The initial post was really asking about ways to grow investments either tax-free or tax deferred.

I guess it is not clear as to what you mean by "tax advantaged" with that list of examples. But I get it now.

Shocked..SHOCKED, I tell you...that no one in the forum has mentioned the obvious: a Whole Life Insurance policy!

:hide:

(just kidding, for the sarcastically-deficient :))

Any equities held at a loss, or covered by any Carry-Over cap gain losses you might have could be considered 'tax advantaged'.

Qualified dividends (depending on your tax bracket).

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom