Titanic

If you visit Ireland, check out these two Titanic historic sites in Belfast (where it was built) and Cobh (its last port of call).

Visit the birthplace of Titanic - Titanic Belfast

The Titanic Experience | Titanic Experience Cobh : Titanic 2012

Thanks for posting.
Did not realize Cobh was the lasr port of call. I can still vaguely remember this port when I took a ship from Montreal to Eire back in 1964 with my aunt (Julia) to visit my relatives in Cork and Roscommon. First leg of trip was a train from Chicago, stop in Toronto and on to Montreal.

Also, 1912 was the year my dad was born - April 8th., week before the sinking of the Titanic.

As I write this, my 15 year old son is downstairs playing 'My Heart Will Go On' on the piano. And doing quite a nice job of it, I would add. About the same temperature out tonight as on the night she went down. One can only imagine what it was like knowing that one was going to go into that frigid water. RIP.

golfnut, Cobh (Irish for cove) was the original name of the port. Ireland was an English colony until the early 20th century, the name was changed to Queenstown in 1850 in honour of Queen Victoria's visit. In 1920, after the formation of the Irish Free State, the name was changed back to the Irish one. So the name Queenstown is associated with the Titanic era.

Cobh also has an association with the Lusitania.

Cobh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom