Hi from Hiss

Hiss

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everyone. I retired in May of this year at the age of 54 (a month before I turned 55). I was a Chemical Engineer for a pine chemicals company for most of my career and worked mostly in managerial positions. I have not been in a fulfilling position for many years and knew I had to get out. I have actually posted here 10+ years ago and had to look at my old posts to see when I said I would retire. I had planned for age 48 but my cowardice plus the great recession added the last 6 years.
A few months into retirement and I have no apprehensions financially. Perhaps too soon or I am too stupid. I know that many here have retired in a more secure position than I have. I have about 29 times my yearly spending in stocks (65%) and cash earning a few tenths of 1% maybe (35%). Probably too much cash but that is what I am comfortable with now.
I have a defined pension that will contribute about 35% of my today's yearly expenses but it is deferred until age 62 (non-COLA).
I believe SS will be there for me, and if it is diminished I do not see it impacting me substantially.
I have a high deductible health plan as most do here. Nothing contributed by my employer to this.
I plan to spend the first 4 months chilling in my cabin in Maine (I live in Florida). Then I hope to travel a lot. I have been into the credit card points game as well as collecting from business travel over the years and have amassed a couple million points in various loyalty programs. I hope this will support a low cost life of travel (1 or 2 international trips per year and 3 or 4 domestic) over the next 4 or 5 years.
I want to thank everyone from 10 years or so ago who educated me on this forum to know how to do this. I am confident I have made the right choice. Looking forward to our interactions.

Welcome back Hiss, and glad to hear you enjoy ER. I'm just 2 years here and I've seen a few posts like yours and I'm always impressed that people pop back for updates. Nice.

One thing about those points and miles. Be careful. I lost some of my miles due to a change in program to "expire-able" miles. Jerks. Other people here are showing some disappointment in their points.

See the thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/frequent-flyer-award-booking-fee-72903.html

In no way am I trying to throw cold water on your plan! As is the case in all things ER, I just mention it so you go in with eyes wide open. You know the drill, having been on this board before.

Congratulations! I originally thought age 50 but that would have been too young for me. Then I thought 55 and I am now 56. But it's only going to be a couple of years more. I've got a cabin too, but it's at Lake Texoma. I'm going to see how I like being there alone for extended periods and I'm curious as to how well it will work. My late father knew of this plan and didn't think I would last a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom