Facebook satire tag?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I first thought this was a joke, but it appears real. Facebook is testing a tag that tells users when a story is satire. Here's a report from PC Mag Facebook Adding 'Satire' Tags to Fake News | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Facebook appears to be testing a new feature that clearly marks sarcastic news stories from sites like The Onion with a "satire" tag, lest users confuse headlines like "Busch Gardens Unveils New 9,600-Mile-Long Endurance Coaster" with a serious article.
Having raised (at least helped) three children and remembering well their teenage years I can't believe they need any help detecting satire, as their sarcasm skills were quite good. If this is true and younger people can't distinguish between serious and satire I fear we will never see a next generation replacement for Month Python.

I always thought that the way to recognize truly clever, on-point satire is to be unable to detect it until I've read a little way into it. Sometimes the "New Yorker" achieves this.

And then, there are the FB posts that I would swear just have to be satire...but alas, they are meant quite seriously.

Amethyst

I always thought that the way to recognize truly clever, on-point satire is to be unable to detect it until I've read a little way into it. Sometimes the "New Yorker" achieves this.

And then, there are the FB posts that I would swear just have to be satire...but alas, they are meant quite seriously.

Amethyst
+1 on both.

Reminds me that Anne Landers and Dear Abby both had to constantly remind readers that "No, we are not making this up".

Back
Top Bottom