Media Cube anybody?

BTravlin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Ran across this online somewhere and it looks great but, as the say goes, if it looks too good to be true .....

Free TV and movies of all kinds for just the price of the Media Cube itself, basically $300, with no subscriptions.

Media Cube

Nowhere does it say where this company is located. I know there are several tech savvy people on this forum so take a look and tell me what you think.

I'm especially interested in this excerpt from the FAQ section.

"OKAY, OKAY OKAY. IS THIS LEGAL?
Yes. Absolutely. The Media Cube is 100% Legal. The Media Cube uses third party programs written externally by programmers and developers via OTT content and IPTV services. These programs basically create a bridge between online entertainment streams and hosts offering licensed content, and the custom software installed to the Media Cube. You are not hosting, downloading or uploading the content."

So?

Maybe someone will have better luck, but my searching for reviews only came up with the stuff from the seller's own site. Gee, I dunno, but does anything in this kind of review not raise some red flags?

I am completely blown away by the Media Cube!!!!!!! I’m canceling Netflix and Hulu right now. I’ve just barely touched the tip of the iceberg here and it is more than I could have ever expected!!!! Any show I want to watch, EVER episode!! Any movie I want, and YES there are some that are still in theaters or have not been released on DVD! WTF?!?!?! I have some sports fanatics as friends… and you guys are gonna lose it when I show you what games you can watch, ALL OF THEM, PPV as well. Oh and the learning curve on this:confused:? SIMPLE, I had it down in minutes. Best part…. drumroll please… after you purchase OR win the Media Cube, this is al FREEEEEEEE!!!!!! Somebody pinch me! I’m in love! I'm obsessed with mine Media Cube, not sure how I made it this long without one!
NICOLE R.

And for good measure, NICOLE R's profile pic looks like a glamour shot.

Movies that are still in the theater (which theater? the one that runs the old classics?). You can watch ALL the sports (even the ones you need to subscribe to? PPV?).

Sounds awful fishy to me. I wonder if "PPV" is "Pete's Pub's Volleyball"? I suspect what you can get is just what you can get with a computer and a browser. This might make it easier to access those shows. But I'd be surprised if does anything more than that.

And maybe the "Media Cube" is 100% legal, just like my laptop is 100% legal. But accessing protected content may not be.

I'd wait for some real reviews.

-ERD50

I looked around for reviews and didn't find anything worthwhile either. Call me a cynic, but I'm suspicious.

I like the offer on the front page to become a marketer for the product. Multi-level marketing, anyone?

If you read the statements very carefully, the MediaCube hardware is all that they are saying is legal. All the software to gain access to various media is third party stuff. I strongly suspect that you will find yourself dealing with Android 'shovelware' after a few months, as various services/torrents/stream servers get their 'cease and desist' letters and resurface fronted by exciting new apps.

$299 to some company in Singapore, for a mystery meat product that, oddly, seems to have found a way to deliver what Roku, Apple, Microsoft, or Sony can't do? Do let us know how it works out, please.

BTravlin,

I bought a similar box (Android MX2) recently. These products are shipped from China, and supported by "open" community (by bunch of geeks writing Linux code during their spare time). The quality of the box reflects the "openness" of it all.

I have a computer science degree and worked in the industry for 30 years. It took me many nights to get this thing to work reliably. I had to reflesh FW many times, and brought in AT&T to consult why my WIFI will work slow with this box, etc.. At the end, I could not fix the slow WIFI issue (known issue with the box itself). That defeats the purpose of having this kind of product. WIFI is just too slow to download HD TV content.

Having said the above, I bought Tronsmart S89-H, much faster box. This one works like a charm. Still, you need to be technically savvy enough to reflesh its FW time to time. If you don't know what "reflesh its FW" means, I don't recommend buying it.

If you still want to buy one, google its shortcomings and see if you want to take the plunge.

Last edited:
I knew it was too good to be true but just wanted to hear the opinions of others. Living in Mexico, our U.S. programming content is limited so a working product like this has great appeal. Guess I'll wait for the new and improved version while I learn about refreshing the FW.

I know this is an old thread, but this is how I found this forum. I got one of these and then I got another one that I take when I'm on the road traveling for business. I have found for the amount of channels and movies you get it definitely saved me money but that's just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom