Wireless Mouse for iMac

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My Apple wireless mouse that came with my iMac has given up the ghost after many years of use.

A new Apple mouse is over $70.

Does anybody have any experience with a non Apple mouse on an up to date iMac? I want it to take advantage of all the scrolling features.

I don't have one that does all the touch scrolling/swiping, but I use a Logitech wireless mouse on an older iMac that works on any surface (including my couch!), cost less than $50 and does everything I need.

I bought this one recently, and really like it. Depending on your color preferences, it's $10 to $20.

There are reasons AAPL is $100.

Attachments

• well-played-indeed-22.jpg
    well-played-indeed-22.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
I've used logitech mice on macs before but I needed to get a 3rd party driver (e.g. steer mouse) to access all of the programmable features. If you do get a logitech mouse with more than 2 buttons make sure it's explicitly supported on mac.

Regarding scrolling features, most mice for PCs would only support vertical scrolling via the scroll wheel. So you would likely loose horizontal and 360 scrolling. PC mice also won't support gestures (if that's important to you).

The OS X event system, the thingy that reads buttons and makes them do stuff, handles up to four buttons on mice directly (Up to 32 internally, but the last 28 buttons don't do anything interesting by default) and both vertical and horizontal scroll wheels.

About all third party software can do is add macros (complex canned actions) or shortcuts to buttons. The System Preferences app can do some of this via it's Mouse and Keyboard panels.

Back
Top Bottom