Ignore list question

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is there a good reason (i.e. not one that stems from "because we own the joint") that forum members are forbidden to add a moderator or admin to their ignore lists?

The reverse is also true, as we mods are also not allowed to ignore any members or their posts. Goes both ways, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The reverse is also true, as we mods are also not allowed to ignore any members or their posts. Goes both ways, unfortunately.

Sweet. Misery loves company, as they say.

So why is this?

But you never speak to me (KIDDING! She's a soul sister).

Something like that, lol.

It has always been that way since I was a mod. The official reason is so that mods are able to send messages back and forth with all members, since more than one mod may be asked or is asking a question.

We learn the art of the "virtual ignore" when needed. I heartily endorse and recommend it for those moments when your blood pressure might spike unnecessarily otherwise. :)

What's that, Steely? Send me some music, man! :)

So why is this?

The underlying reason is that when you put someone on your ignore list they can't send you private messages. This is a software limitation. There are times when mods need to send Pms for site management concerns. Fortunately that's not too often ;)

The underlying reason is that when you put someone on your ignore list they can't send you private messages. This is a software limitation. There are times when mods need to send Pms for site management concerns. Fortunately that's not too often ;)

Last I checked there was more than one mod. So long as no forum member puts all the mods on ignore, that should not be a problem, no?

Well, some of us take off a day every now and again, so that's why we have such a big team. :)

Fortunately, we've gotten kinda used to the rules, and so it doesn't bother us too much to know we will be reading every doggone post, even from the most cantankerous members. :)

Well, some of us take off a day every now and again, so that's why we have such a big team. :)

Fortunately, we've gotten kinda used to the rules, and so it doesn't bother us too much to know we will be reading every doggone post, even from the most cantankerous members. :)

A simple "because we own the joint" will suffice.

Ah but I don't. :)

So that's not my answer, unfortunately.

But there's always that virtual ignore feature to fall back on. :)

Ah but I don't. :)

So that's not my answer, unfortunately.

But there's always that virtual ignore feature to fall back on. :)

Quite challenging when someone repeatedly refers to you as an ignorant troglodyte.

That's the bottom line. I got tossed off another affiliated forum for questioning moderator actions. Ooops, I may have violated the policy by mentioning it. :eek:

I understand the mods (plural possessive?) point on this one. It would be extra work if they need to send a PM to a member, but that member has them on ignore, so they need to go find another mod to send it.

IIRC, it was suggested that they post as 'users' and mod as 'mods', but that would require logging in and out every time they posted as 'users' I think? I don't know if they could have two accounts with a separate browser window open and logged in under each account? That would also avoid the tricky issues when you think you are replying to a person as a poster (not a mod), but then get slapped for questioning moderation publicly.

-ERD50

If I wanted to ignore multiple mods & admins, I'd probably find another forum or something else to do.

I don't have anyone on ignore (I used to have a few), it's easy enough to skip over posts...to each his/her own. And interestingly (to me) of the eight or so people I once had on ignore, six of them disappeared on their own soon enough, the other two are easy to skip over.

Last edited:
That's the bottom line. I got tossed off another affiliated forum for questioning moderator actions. Ooops, I may have violated the policy by mentioning it. :eek:

First rule of fight club.....

If I mess up again (and I have), Bestwifeever will send me to the hospital!

I have ignores and coyotes.

If I mess up again (and I have), bestwifeever will send me to the hospital!

I have ignores and coyotes.

I'll have a megamedia TV truck parked in front of your house so fast you won't even know what's happening.

A poor signal-to-noise ratio is one of the main reasons users go elsewhere and boards fall into disuse. Mods, if anyone, should be setting the standard with a good ratio.

Back
Top Bottom