• 56-60

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • over 60

Votes: 10 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For the millionaires here, at what age did you first have a net worth of $1M? Many, like me, enjoyed this milestone so much that we passed it several times going both ways. If that is you, list the age when you FIRST passed this milestone.

I think I was 35 or so. I remember adding things up and gasping. I did start planning longer vacations from then out.

At age 45 my ex and I had a million dollar portfolio. Then I had $500,000. Next time, I really had a million was age 53.

Last edited:
My husband and I hit that milestone around age 41 or 42. We hit that point without counting the home equity several years later.

Not 100% sure but I suspect it was 50 or 51. (So I picked the 51 to 55 category). What would also be interesting to know is how quickly after that did it take someone to hit 2m then 3m, etc. As many often say, the first million is the hardest or it takes money to make money. For me, the second came in less than 3 more years, the 3rd was faster than that, etc.

Achieved net worth of $1M at age 45. Over $1M invested capital in the stock market at age 54 after we sold one of the two businesses that we owned. Thanks

Many, like me, enjoyed this milestone so much that we passed it several times going both ways.
Yep. First time, 48, counting just investable assets, which is what's in the spreadsheet that has history.

Probably somewhere around 50.

Vast majority of our wealth was in real estate and I tend to report worst case to myself. In 2004 Quicken says we had a net worth of $740k. The next year we show a NW of 1,867k. I'm sure that is almost completely due to assigning the tax man's "true cash value" to our properties rather than what we had paid for them. Pretty much all nonsense and guesstimates for real estate heavy us though - won't know what we have till it sells and we pay everyone with outstretched hands.

Age 45 $1.0M
Age 48 $1.5M

Does not include any value associated with pensions or social security. Includes home equity of about $250k.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I owe'd millions before I earned a million......starting a business.

I just broke the $1M threshold this past August, at the age of 44. Topped out at around $1,016,000 in investible assets at the end of the month. Fell back a bit in September, but closed out October at around $1,010,000. It would be more if I counted real estate, the cars, etc, but I figure those aren't things easily convertible into cash, and figuring their value can be a bit vague, so I left those out.

Not overly surprising graph except for sizable group 26-30.

Boy I had nothing at that age...except pretty good education.

Funny you should ask! We hit just over the $1M mark ($1,003,000) this week for the first time ever. I'm sure we will pass this number going up and down for awhile.

Age = 49

(Could have been here a lot sooner if we had lived more frugally and NOT veered off course after 2008. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I tend to always learn things the hard way.)

maybe a parallel question - how many years ago did you hit $1m.

Someone who hit $1m at age 40...who is now age 75...is a heck of a lot different than someone who hit their first $1M last week...

The value of a buck just ain't what it used to be......

I hit mine on paper at age 32 around the turn of the century...that dot com thing worked for a while...then suddenly it didnt work...then finally clawed back, then 2008 ... it's been an interesting run.

29 in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I crossed the $1M mark in invested portfolio at age 36 in Feb'2000. Hit $1.6M in Aug'2000 all due to company stock options that were exercisable at the time. Enter the tech bubble burst :(. Did not cross the $1M mark again until age 42 and stayed above $1M from then on...... Wish I would have pulled he trigger on those stock options at the time. I was so concern about the tax hit... Hind sight is 20/20....

Back
Top Bottom