The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year's inductees:

Lou Reed

Green Day

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Bill Withers

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Ringo Starr will be given the Award For Musical Excellence

1950s R&B group the "5" Royales will receive the Early Influence Award.
No complaints from me, except for Ringo.

Green Day? I like them, but before Deep Purple? Not Sting (who I don't like, but he definitely deserves it). Not NWA? Not Nine Inch Nails?

Obviously Lou Reed, SRV, superstars. Ringo deserves an award just for putting up with all those Beatle egos. BBB, Bill Withers both deserve it. And I have a weak spot for Joan Jett, although it should have been the Runaways. But Green Day? Who decides this stuff?

I haven't heard of a few of those but as the "young guy" on the forum I can vouch for Green Day. In my opinion 2004's "American Idiot" is one of the best albums ever and that was a full decade after "Dookie", another excellent album with 10MM albums sold(20MM worldwide). They have a different sound that some may not care for but I think they are very deserving of being in the Hall with 75 million record sales.

Last edited:
It' unbelievable Deep Purple has not been inducted. Another band - YES - should be in there as well.

SRV died 25 years ago (1990) so I suspect he should have be eligible a while back. Texas Flood came out in the early 80's. The RRHF is a joke really. No Deep Purple, no Yes, No Iron Maiden, Warren Zevon, Jethro Tull...Green Day I like but in on the first ballot with the kind of snubs going on here seems like it's more a popularity contest rather than on real merit IMO.

I haven't heard of a few of those but as the "young guy" on the forum I can vouch for Green Day. In my opinion 2004's "American Idiot" is one of the best albums ever and that was a full decade after "Dookie", another excellent album with 10MM albums sold(20MM worldwide). They have a different sound that some may not care for but I think they are very deserving of being in the Hall with 75 million record sales.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I think they do, they're an excellent band. Dookie was a killer album, so was American Idiot, and Billie Joe Armstrong is a great songwriter. But as with all HoF's, there are so many more deserving individuals/groups that it doesn't make sense for a band like Green Day to make it on the first ballot. There's a lot of politics in there.

Guess that explains why Willie Nelson hasn't made it.

Or it might have something to do with him being a country star. He's popular with rock fans, but hasn't really written any rock music. He's in a ton of country HoF's, so he hasn't been ignored. Probably in the pot smoker's HoF too.

I saw SRV live three times - first time was when he opened for George Thorogood at Cullen auditorium in 1982 - then I saw him twice again in 83 in a small bar in Houston. He got popular pretty soon after that.

+1. An all time best album. "wake me up when September ends" was the anthem of my recovery from marriage failing. "Holiday" also spoke to me, and that nice swing beat made it up lifting.

Ha

I can't believe it took so long for these bands to make in. All these are great choices this year.
I saw Ringo's All Starr band and Joan Jett this year. They certainly still put on great shows. Joan's punk roots still shine and Ringo's drumming is still exceptional. Plus his fun and enthusiasm are incredibly infectious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Seeing them in this list just made me feel old. 25 years? Yikes. Listened to American Idiot on my run yesterday. Never get tired of it.

I grew up with some of the others mentioned that didn't make it. Respect for all of them but GD defined their era, at least for ex-punkers like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Someone read this thread and drew a cartoon...

Attachments

• 1601477_10151778540256901_1352112137_n.jpg
    1601477_10151778540256901_1352112137_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 8
Someone read this thread and drew a cartoon...

That's great and will probably be me in a few years

The guy yell AC/DC even has the Brian Johnson hat...but he doesn't have an SG so no bonus points for that :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom