Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, wrote the book, sold the movie rights

Sojourning

Recycles dryer sheets
Like many early retirees I suppose, there came a day when I had what is sometimes called a 'Eureka Moment' and realized I did not want to work till I was 65, then retire and drop dead on a golf course at age 67.

For me that 'moment' came at age 35 and so I came up with a 10 year plan to early retirement and financial independence. I achieved the goal in 7 years and retired at age 43.

Since then I have lived, travelled and sojourned in various places, in various ways. Along the way, I've fell in to various ventures, earned some supplemental money, got bored, moved on, got married (again) and just generally enjoyed life. As one t-shirt I had said, 'Just another perfect sunset in paradise.'

Here's how you know when you have really retired. When you don't know if it's Wednesday or Saturday and have to ask someone.

Here's how you know when you have really retired. When you don't know if it's Wednesday or Saturday and have to ask someone.
Regretfully, that's also one of the signs of dementia. The good news is, if you only have to ask once and can remember the answer, you know it's retirement. :)

Welcome to the forum, Sojourning.

And then there's the other side... Sow the wild oats, live like there's no tomorrow, burn the candle at both ends, pack 25 hours into a 24 hour day, eat drink and be happy because... (fill in your own answer)....

All of a sudden find out you're nearing 80... and you wonder where the time went. :cool:

Been there... done that...:greetings10:

Here's how you know when you have really retired. You actually are looking into playing pickleball.
Time for my afternoon nap.

Last edited:
"Regretfully, that's also one of the signs of dementia."

What's dementia? I've forgotton.

All of a sudden find out you're nearing 80... and you wonder where the time went. :cool:

One of my favorite sightings of a t-shirt was one that said "Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old who wonders what the hell happened".

Around here it is important to know what day of the week it is (I look at the newspaper) because the grocery stores can't sell wine before 1:00 PM on Sundays. I wouldn't want to waste a trip.:D

Since all days seem the same I have to keep track of them. Separate weekdays from weekends. I need to make sure I don't try to go shopping or otherwise about town on a weekend. I go out only when all the animals are at their respective zoos Monday through Friday.

I have the 7-day vitamin holder, it always knows what day it is as long as I take my pills.

No, no, grasshoppper. You haven't learned the true lesson yet.

I ALWAYS know what 'day it is', it's another day in which to spoil my wife. I'm never allowed to forget that. What I wrote was I forget what day of the WEEK it is. They are two totally different things.

I have the 7-day vitamin holder, it always knows what day it is as long as I take my pills.

As long as you can remember IF you took your pills...

Thankfully, cell phones know what day it is.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've only been retired a year and it take me long to forget what day it was!

Regretfully, that's also one of the signs of dementia. The good news is, if you only have to ask once and can remember the answer, you know it's retirement. :)

Welcome to the forum, Sojourning.

LOL. Good one!

(I thought every day is a Saturday by default when one is in ER)

The most important day is Monday.

That is when the worker bees are off the road, out of the Y and coffee shops. Just be sure not be on the roads at rush hours.

Thus the acronym TGIM.

Oh, you, guys, are too funny here :LOL:. I envy you.
One day I had my annual physical at 8am. I came 10 min too early. I didn't even have a chance to sit down comfortably as I was whisked in to see the doc.
After I left the doc's office I went into a grocery store. It was a breeze to order a BD cake for my daughter. Totally empty and quiet, only employees going about their chores.
Same thing at an auto-parts shop to buy a pump and finally an easy drive to work.
While doing all of the above on that day I had to call my retired friend in MI to tell that I envy her. It was like shortly after 9am in December. I said "I hope I didn't wake you up". She said "You did. I'm about to get up":LOL:

The most important day is Monday.

That is when the worker bees are off the road, out of the Y and coffee shops. Just be sure not be on the roads at rush hours.

Thus the acronym TGIM.

+1 My sentiments, exactly.

Back
Top Bottom