27 year old introduction to FIRE

ozFIRE

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello All

I am Australian, currently living in London for the next couple of years, and have just started my journey to FIRE. I am just about to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary and my wife and are starting to plan our financial future.

The key for us is to plan to achieve FI so that we have the option to pursue other interests, or semi ER if needed. We both work in finance, so are luckily to have a reasonably understanding of markets/compounding/returns, etc. Although we didn't have any help or training from our parents!

We both come from modest backgrounds (I was often bullied in school for not wearing the right 'branded' clothes, didn't go on school trips that cost additional money, etc.), however have worked and studied hard over the last 10 years to start to earn a decent salary.

Our plan is to use the ISA system in the UK to accumulate £15k each per year to take advantage of the favourable tax position, and then invest the balance of our savings back in Aust. Plans are to continue saving around $8k per month (in total), and hopefully be in a good position to semi ER in around 15 years.

We also have a rental property in Aust that we plan to keep for a very long time.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and hope to look back on this post favourably in a few years time!

Cheers

Welcome and good for you for starting early. More time for the compounding magic to work.

Back
Top Bottom