Freezing in Massachusetts

Retirein2024

Dryer sheet wannabe
What better way to warm up then to think about retirement to some place warm! Currently 52 (53 next month), married with my wife not working. I work for the feds GS12/10. I'll have 25 years this year and plan on retiring at age 62. I'm invested in the TSP. After running the TSP calculator I'll have $1.2m at retirement assuming 5% return a year. I put the max in now of $18k and catch up of $6k. I'm trying to increase my rate of return so I'm looking into something called seasonal allocations for the TSP. Usually I set it and forget it in the C or S fund. On my own I did (2014 9.22%), (2013 27.37%), (2012 7.86%), (2011 -9.51%) and (2010 20.64%). I want to do better. Looking forward to learning and talking to everyone.

And here I thought 52 (53 next month) was your local temperature. I should be so lucky.
After re-reading it before I posted I was thinking about changing it but heck I want it to be that warm ! We have been below normal for the month but on Thursday should hit in the 50s (with rain) but then go back down.

Since your headline is 'Freezing in Massachusetts' I also thought it was the temperature :) I lived and w*rked in Massachusetts for 25 years, and when w*rking ended, I moved to Florida for the sole reason of never having to 'Freeze in Mass.' again. Miss the activity but no regrets.

But I digress. You are looking for other advice - best luck !

Rich

What are seasonal allocations? FWIW-Your historical returns look pretty good to me.

Rich the plan is to snowbird down in Florida after retirement. I plan on selling the house In Mass and using that money to pay off a condo I have in Old Orchard Beach Maine. This winter was actually one for the record books (over 110" of snow).

Golden I'm in the process of checking. Again I was a more set and forget type of guy but just recently joined some TSP sites to learn about seasonal allocations. I missed out on some good returns and like most people got hammered in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom