ER round 3 - this time it sticking!

In-control

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All,

I have been on this site for several years and learned/implemented so many of the suggestions and ideas. I am so thankful for the great advise and sound boards for my ideas. I am now sitting on a nice asset base, enough to retire. I was laid of @ work Wednesday, they are giving me 3 months to find another job. After that unemployment and then start the 4% withdrawal.

Karma is a funny thing I needed a very specific number, after including $1700(Worse case) a month for HC and Dental, and I got to that two weeks ago. Just meant to be!

I did announce this before with my last two jobs but other ones came along that looked interesting and had allowed me to increase my portfolio while waiting for my kids to graduate, get jobs etc.. Now I have one left of three with hopefully one semester left. So this time it is sticking - I am going to avoid the temptation to look for another job.

As with all major changes I am nervous now - will my simple allocation of 40% stocks and 50% Bonds and 10% CD's/cash work out. It is in VG admiral index funds - the basic ones Total Stock(90%), Total Intermediate Bond(95%), Total International Stock(10%), Total International Bond(5%). I will have to trust all my research and the results of 35 years of managing my $ so far.

:cool:

I'm sorry if the job loss made this decision for you earlier than you might have wanted, but congrats on years of planning and effort that allow you to turn the "job loss" into "freedom found"!

I wouldn't be surprised if another job opportunity found you during this process, but how wonderful that you have the freedom to decide what you want to do now. It sounds like the timing was perfect!

I'm sorry if the job loss made this decision for you earlier than you might have wanted, but congrats on years of planning and effort that allow you to turn the "job loss" into "freedom found"!

I wouldn't be surprised if another job opportunity found you during this process, but how wonderful that you have the freedom to decide what you want to do now. It sounds like the timing was perfect!

Thanks - It is freedom found. I was going to give my notice next May anyway.

If it doesn't, you'll have a lot of company here to commiserate with. :)

Yep! Like REWahoo and many others here, I have very nearly the same asset allocation.

I think you'll be fine. Congratulations on your third ER attempt, and hopefully this one will stick! :D

Last edited:
Thanks - It is freedom found. I was going to give my notice next May anyway.

In that case, extra congrats on getting a package to give you some extra positives to the process!

Back
Top Bottom