Soylent! Mm mm cheap.

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection

It's got everything a RE person needs:
cheap - $3.50/day
readily available with Amazon Prime
cheap?
and good? Some of the comments:
"In taste and texture, and especially hot, this is almost a dead ringer for the Central American drink "atole", which can be flavored with anything from peanuts to orange and star anise. Using boiling water makes an enormous difference in texture."
"It tastes like tears, and regret, with an aftertaste of the creeping realisation that the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons looks down on you with pity."

Also known as bachelor chow.

Do people really eat this stuff?

Maybe Gwenith Paltrow could try it for her " I'm living on food stamps for a week" publicity stunt.

Sheriff Joe in Phoenix might steal the recipe for his jail inmates too.

Good movie, first saw it when I was 15. At my Megacorp location, part of the gallows humor after a layoff is referring to the ¨mystery¨ food that sometimes shows up in the cafeteria as Soylent Green.

Last edited:
From the guy who invented Soylent -

Rhinehart, who is twenty-five, studied electrical engineering at Georgia Tech, and he began to consider food as an engineering problem. “You need amino acids and lipids, not milk itself,” he said. “You need carbohydrates, not bread.” Fruits and vegetables provide essential vitamins and minerals, but they’re “mostly water.” He began to think that food was an inefficient way of getting what he needed to survive.

Full story here - http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/05/12/the-end-of-food

Where are you finding it for $3.50/day calmloki? I looked on Amazon and can only find one listing - $466 for a month's supply, $124 for a week's supply, or $24.55 for a day's supply (3 meals).

EDIT - the article you linked won't load here, but I'm guessing the cost is $3.50/day if you make it yourself. It's certainly not that cheap if you buy if from Amazon.

Major Tom said:
Where are you finding it for $3.50/day calmloki? I looked on Amazon and can only find one listing - $466 for a month's supply, $124 for a week's supply, or $24.55 for a day's supply (3 meals).
The page that calmloki linked to is a DIY website with Amazon links to the individual soylent components. The $3.50/day price is based on buying in bulk and homebrewing the soylent.

How do they know these mixes are "nutritionally complete"? I can easily see them either missing some nutrients (required in small amounts), the nutrients in the mix not having enough bioavailability, or a slow deficiency that requires years to manifest.

Does anybody know what's the longest duration somebody has eaten this stuff?

Just seems like forever. :nonono: From the website linked in the OP
Of all the People Chow recipes I've developed this is by FAR the best! It's got a smooth, velvety texture, a very mild flavor with a hint of tortilla chips, and every time I finish a glass I want more! I think we've finally nailed this recipe and I want to thank the community for all their valuable input in making People Chow 3.x so darn awesome!
The ingredient list showed corn flour to be the most prominent ingredient. I think the @1 ingredient is artistic license.

How do they know these mixes are "nutritionally complete"? I can easily see them either missing some nutrients (required in small amounts), the nutrients in the mix not having enough bioavailability, or a slow deficiency that requires years to manifest.

Does anybody know what's the longest duration somebody has eaten this stuff?

There is a blog...

People Chow | Nutritious food on the go

The writer says he has been mm mm ingesting soylent since January 2014. Worth noting that the last blog post seems to be June 2014.

I think some enterprising soul is making decent bucks by premixing and packaging and selling Soylent for about 3 times the cost of home-assembled soylent. Looks like people are putting way more thought into fine tuning the home made mix for different needs (vegan, wheat free, etc.) and nutritional requirements than I put into my random eating.

Shelf food for survivalists? Seems like this would drive home the knowledge that there has been a disaster.

I'm just amused by this version of the engineer chef.

Back
Top Bottom