Firecalc for portfolio growth during contributions

dallas27

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Probably well known among many, but not me. Realized I can use firecalc with a negative withdrawal amount to model my portfolio growth possibilities. The negative withdrawal being contributions of course. Seems like it's accurate, except for the Potfolio bottom value seems to max out at the starting portfolio value, no matter how big my annual contributions are. Not a big deal.

Anyway, I found it useful as I am in my 30's, thought others might not know about it yet.

There is another way. One of the FIRECalc tabs is "not retired" and allows you to input new contributions to the retirement account.

There is another way. One of the FIRECalc tabs is "not retired" and allows you to input new contributions to the retirement account.

This. I started using firecalc well before I retired... I input what year I expected to retire, and what my contributions were likely to be in the years between then and retirement.

The problem with your method is that it suggests you'll work forever... unless you do a time period of just the time between now and expected retirement date.

Back
Top Bottom