Terminology Funny: Black Monday vs Black Friday

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With the recent (and some past examples also) of the market dropping a large amount, it is called Black Monday, which is considered bad. However, Black Friday is considered good. Just kind of funny how the context changes the meaning for the same word.

I am sure you all have heard other similar type word usage differences.

Strike: Baseball=bad

Strike: Bowling= Good

Strike: Labor Union=TBD

Something going "Downhill"

If you are past the hardest part of a task or a prison stretch you can say "It's all downhill from here" meaning: Now it's gonna be easy

If things were going well but now you're experiencing a massive setback you'd say "This thing's going downhill."

True story: As a low ranking new guy once in the Air Force I was told by the big boss to "make out the work schedule for tomorrow and make sure everybody gets it." We had the shift split into guys who came in early and left early and guys who came in late and left late.

So, I tell everybody "You, you, and you work the top half. You, you, and you work the bottom half." I was thinking in terms of baseball. Top of the inning= Come in EARLY. Bottom half of the inning= Come in LATE

So one of the top half guys comes in late. We work a little short all day. When he finally comes in I ask him why he wasn't in for the TOP HALF. He said he was. He understood the Top half/bottom half metaphor as climbing stairs or something where you start at the bottom and go towards the top. As a a big chess player he didn't follow baseball. I figure that's where it broke down.

And that's another one: "Breakdown". It's bad if you're losing your mind. If you are explaining the essential components of something, looking at "The breakdown" helps people understand it.

To show you how damn goofy the financial news shows are;

Yesterday, DOW suffers worse one day losses since 2008 !

Today, DOW has best gains since 2011.

Yesterday losers are today's big winners.

Somebody just shoot me and God help anyone who makes portfolio decisions based on the talking heads of the financial news networks as their crystal ball isn't any better than mine.

To show you how damn goofy the financial news shows are;

Yesterday, DOW suffers worse one day losses since 2008 !

Today, DOW has best gains since 2011.

Yesterday losers are today's big winners.

Somebody just shoot me and God help anyone who makes portfolio decisions based on the talking heads of the financial news networks as their crystal ball isn't any better than mine.

Frayne, I am going to update your post as your posting deadline can a few hours too early... Today is the "worst reversal day" since 2008. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frayne, I am going to update your post as your posting deadline can a few hours too early... Today is the "worst reversal day" since 2008. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well ****, but thanks anyways, I just got home and haven't turned on the boob tube yet, guess tomorrow will be another record up day, well, maybe for awhile, before it turns into another record down day. I can't believe sane people react to this kind of bovine scatology.

Just my opinion though YMMV. :LOL::facepalm:

BTW, I'm golfing tomorrow so stay on the edge of your seat for me, please.

Last edited:
Played golf today the the market is up 600 points, damn, think I'll play another round tomorrow. If the market goes up then there is a correlation between my golf game and the market ! Send me $5 dollars and I'll let you know what days I am playing golf so you can buy, buy, buy or market time accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom