Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a week long on-line course that I am taking at home for w*rk. For lunch break I go to the garage where I have set up a 9x9x10 cage, mat, SkyTrak and whack balls. It's quite a nice break. Working on speed.

What about yoga? Does anyone do yoga to increase flexibility & strength...and their golf game?

I've started taking a weekly yoga class and the movements seem to improve flexibility in my hips & shoulders, which are very tight. But, I need to do it more often to get significant, long term results.

I do a modified version of yoga's Sun Greeting before I golf.

Other yoga, no. But I have been doing Qi Gong. Helps with balance, and joint flexibility.

To echo Runner, exercise has helped my distance. I workout 1.5 hours, six days a week at a Plant Fitness about five miles from the house. My routine is walking three miles on the treadmill, five miles on the bike, a small amount of lifting weights for the upper body and using the ab workout stations. The exercises help keep me limber as much as anything and I find myself getting more weight shift through the swing, hence more power, swing speed resulting in more distance.

I get a little more distance with my drives since I retired and I think some of it is my ability to stay limber. Better weight shift as you suggest. Plus just playing and practicing more has translated into more shots being hit on the sweet spot which = more distance. Of course equipment is better too.

you don't have to be that limber to hit the ball a long way - one of my golf buddies takes it back about half way and hits it over 300 - he has a great weight shift and strong legs

Looks like the weather will be getting nice for the next couple of weeks here in the Bay Area. I'm looking forward to it, I haven't been playing much golf this year.

walked 9 Saturday, carried my clubs - I think I shot a 4 over. Not bad for the first golf of the year.

If he's a senior like most here, that's impressive.

mid-40s, he's been playing golf since about 5 years old

cutoff for senior championship is 50 - I'm going to try and repeat my flight win this year

There are some things you can do to slightly increase distance or maintain what you have as you age but in most cases being able to hit it long is a natural ability that you either have or you don't. You'll be much better off not being obsessed with it and instead work on your short game. The club golfer with the better short game will beat the bomber most of the time.

Walked 18 today for the first time in a long time. My home course is to hilly to walk 18... at best I walk the front 9 and ride the back 9. My legs were fine but my feet were hurting for the last few holes.

but in most cases being able to hit it long is a natural ability that you either have or you don't

totally disagree (as I'm sure would Ben Hogan) - the average person is capable of crushing the ball with the right technique

If you don't have at least a 170 yard 5-iron you aren't using your lower body enough at the start of the swing.

Some guys I know can hit a 5 iron 200+ and have killer short games.

However, short game is everything out there. I practice my short game more than anything.

Walked 18 today for the first time in a long time. My home course is to hilly to walk 18... at best I walk the front 9 and ride the back 9. My legs were fine but my feet were hurting for the last few holes.

That's impressive! Been a while since I've walked 18. I walk 9 a lot, and that feels good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

totally disagree (as I'm sure would Ben Hogan) - the average person is capable of crushing the ball with the right technique

Crushing the ball is all relative, for some it's a 300 yard drive, for your typical retired golfer it might be a 225 yard drive. Most of the retired golfers at the clubs I've played aren't capable of hitting a 5 iron 170 yards, very few if any of them carry 5 irons, most have switched to hybrids.

I've been golfing for 45 years and have never seen a short hitter turn into a long hitter although I have seen many spend a small fortune on new equipment and gadgets trying. I've read Ben Hogans excellent book "Five Lessons" and he certainly gives you keys to maximize your ability through a proper swing and making solid contact but don't recall him ever stating he can turn you into a long hitter.

Last edited:
I've seen several short hitters turn into long hitters with proper instruction and practice. Maybe I should have said "compressing" the ball instead of "crushing" the ball. I think it's difficult for the average person to break 80 consistently (like Hogan said) without compressing the ball, unless they are playing off the forward or ladies tees. An additional 30 to 50 yards off the tee makes a huge difference in my game at least. I have a much higher probability of paring a hole when I'm holding a wedge on my approach rather than a 6 iron.

I didn't start playing golf until I was 36 due to j*b related work/studying but I when I started, I played or practiced 5 days a week and averaged over 100 rounds a year for the first several years.

<--- won flight in sr club championship due to length and short game

Last edited:
well the leg work is paying off - I hit 5 greens yesterday and shot a 44 :eek:

Longest drive may have been about 280ish? All approach shots were with a 7, 8, 9, GW or SW

I 3-putted 4 times and had two penalty strokes. Time to work on the putting.

well the leg work is paying off - I hit 5 greens yesterday and shot a 44 :eek:

Longest drive may have been about 280ish? All approach shots were with a 7, 8, 9, GW or SW

I 3-putted 4 times and had two penalty strokes. Time to work on the putting.

There is no substitute for good a short game in shaving strokes off your score with the exception of a pencil with an eraser.

Last edited:
I normally MAYBE have 2 3 jacks a round.

Not sure what was going on. I think my hands weren't used to all the ball striking they were doing.

I've got the putting mat out now. Guna work on that all week.

Curious what everyone thinks about the new rules for 2016. I play a lot of rounds by myself and only post if I have kept an accurate card. With the new rule that will not be allowed. So much for a sport of integrity and honesty?

Playing alone and necessary peer review: To further
support the key System premise of peer review, scores
made while playing alone will no longer be acceptable
for handicap purposes. This change underscores the
importance of providing full and accurate information
regarding a player’s potential scoring ability, and the
ability of other players to form a reasonable basis for
supporting or disputing a posted score. (Section 5-1:
Acceptability of Scores)

I think it stinks. Guess I'll have to make sure DW comes out for 9 every time so she can witness.

BOO!

I really don't care about the vanity cappers. I also play a lot by myself.

I don't think we can turn scores in until 3/1 anyway.

Last edited:
It is a change in the USGA Rules of Golf and the USGA Handicap System that took effect in January. Not sure how it would possibly work. I don't pay attention to others much when I am playing with them. I certainly would not check their scorecard on each hole and I sure the heck would not remember by the end of the round what happened three hours previously. I don't play league or tournaments so not an impact at this time. It seems to be a ridiculous rule to me too.

League shouldn't really count for scoring because we concede putts in our format.

Medal play tournaments are important because they establish the sandbagging index.

I like that! The last thing where my poor handicap made any difference was a Chapman at Shadow Valley with my wife who has an even worse handicap.

You are right, I have filled in at league at Warm Springs a couple times. I forgot about gimmees.

Key Changes to Handicap System for 2016

I broke 40 a few times this year during league and my pro posted them. Took me a while to get those off the record.

I've been posting lots of scores recently and have no noticed any change in the posting procedure. While all my scores are with others they have no way of knowing that. Sounds stoopid to me and like they have no mechanism to verify but I don't play a lot of tournaments so I don't really care and our league keeps its own handicaps.

I post scores with gimmes... if anything it might be hurting me. I sometimes don't accept gimmes if I think they are too generous. I once tried to talk the guy who runs the league that we should putt out everything for par or better but he didn't want to change.

Last edited:
I've been posting lots of scores recently and have no noticed any change in the posting procedure. While all my scores are with others they have no way of knowing that. Sounds stoopid to me and like they have no mechanism to verify but I don't play a lot of tournaments so I don't really care and our league keeps its own handicaps.

I post scores with gimmes... if anything it might be hurting me. I sometimes don't accept gimmes if I think they are too generous. I once tried to talk the guy who runs the league that we should put out everything for par or better but he didn't want to change.

well technically the handicap committee (yes, every club has one) is supposed to police score posting, which would require looking at the tee sheet and days posted, for each score under these rules

the only time I ever heard from the handicap committee is that I play more often than I post scores but again, it depends on the game. If you are playing a greensome or a bloodsome against someone, that isn't postable. Plus there may be some wagering that involves mullies or whatever, that isn't postable either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom