Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one in Shelby NC one of my partners walked up to pay (wearing a mask) and the guy behind the counter with no mask started a conversation about how stupid masks are and why he won’t wear one - a new dimension in customer service...

The Shelby Dynasty lives on! ;)

Snow here in Wisconsin has taken away all the fun golfing....boo...so I have been practicing my putting in basement and have found that the claw grip seems to work a bit better , at least for the time being...anyone else out here us the claw and if so has it helped...I know its all confidence , but still..

About 6 years ago I was getting yips over shorter putts so I started using side saddle putting for shorter ones and it worked well so I use it for most putts now... even from off the green... with side saddle I find that my distance control is much better and I can leave a lot of long puts within that mystical 2-3' circle. For longer putts my main focus is on distance control... with side saddle you are typically pretty much on line unless you misread a swinger so distance control is the key factor to getting within the circle and every so often they just go in the hole (some days more than others it seems).

I use a conventional length putter with a conventional girth grip. My left palm is actually on top of the putter and my right hand grabs the shaft. I line up the putter lines with the intended line and my feet also point along the intended line. Usually the ball is about even with the front part of my right foot. Then I swing the club back and then forward. Very similr to the woman in the video.

For shorter putts...inside 10'... I'll focus on a few blades of grass or a spot at or near the cup and will not look at the ball. For longer putts I focus on the ball.

I have a lot of confidence in being able to get down in two from just about anywhere on the green... my bigger issue is getting on in regulation.

Last edited:
How was your golf year ?

Slow but fairly steady improvement. I played 95 rounds of golf, and for he first time every one of them was under 100. My tee shots have definitely improved, and my close in irons game (< 120 yards) is much more consistent. On my home course I am now shooting between mid-80s and low 90s, with an 80 as my best score for the year.

Now I am looking at getting new clubs. I am still playing "cheap" starter clubs (Calloway Strata), but am looking at going for a fitting (blow hat dough!) and seeing what the recommendation is.

About 6 years ago I was getting yips over shorter putts so I started using side saddle putting for shorter ones and it worked well so I use it for most putts now... even from off the green... with side saddle I find that my distance control is much better and I can leave a lot of long puts within that mystical 2-3' circle. For longer putts my main focus is on distance control... with side saddle you are typically pretty much on line unless you misread a swinger so distance control is the key factor to getting within the circle and every so often they just go in the hole (some days more than others it seems).

I use a conventional length putter with a conventional girth grip. My left palm is actually on top of the putter and my right hand grabs the shaft. I line up the putter lines with the intended line and my feet also point along the intended line. Usually the ball is about even with the front part of my right foot. Then I swing the club back and then forward. Very similr to the woman in the video.

For shorter putts...inside 10'... I'll focus on a few blades of grass or a spot at or near the cup and will not look at the ball. For longer putts I focus on the ball.

I have a lot of confidence in being able to get down in two from just about anywhere on the green... my bigger issue is getting on in regulation.

I play with a guy who putts side saddle. It works well for him. He putts very quickly and doesn't grind over putts at all.

Yeah, there are a few of us out there. At our club, only me and one other guy that I know of. I heard a rumor that Bryson Dechambeau was going to put sidesaddle on the PGA Tour a few years ago and for some unknown reason the PGA discouraged him from doing so.

Friday at the Honda Classic, he pointed the finger directly at the United States Golf Association when asked about his decision to abandon the stroke.

“It [was] a long conversation,” DeChambeau said after a 71 to miss the cut by four shots. “But the USGA essentially doesn’t like me doing it.

Probably close to the # of rounds you played this year, usually play 3 times a week. Are you a member of a club in Scottsdale? Just got back from a week in Scottsdale, been going there for ~25 years, and the golf prices are the highest I've ever seen with very few deals to be found. What I would consider to be average golf courses for that area were near the $100 range. In the past could always find decent deals on teeoff or golfnow but not much available this time. There were some decent prices on the west side near Luke AFB but didn't feel like traveling that far. Stayed next to the Kierland golf course and it seemed to be busy the whole time.

I'm at a private club in North Scottsdale. Heard that most courses around here had record round numbers this season. Nothing else to do but golf I guess!!

I putt with a longish putter one that is just a little shorter than the old belly models. It helps me to see the line better by standing taller. Another thing that has helped is using a slight forward press to start the stroke. I doubt any of my playing partners even notices me doing it but it does help in pulling the trigger.

Played today and scored well. Shot 77 with one birdie but I made a lot of par saving putts. Warm enough to wear shorts for my final round of the year. :)

finally broke 80 on 12/21 - HNY everyone!

btw DW got me an infrared heating pad for xmas that's "cured" my sciatica - YMMV

I'm at a private club in North Scottsdale. Heard that most courses around here had record round numbers this season. Nothing else to do but golf I guess!!

our club had just over 100% more play than last year, and with everyone taking a single cart, the course is pretty beat up; we need the break

since I retired I got in about 4 rounds a week this year, plus league and some tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom