Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2015-2020-a-78866.html)

PapaBear67 04-19-2016 01:45 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this thread. A fun read.

My group here in PA started "official" play the 1st Monday in April. It's a group of ~55 gents and we play on Mondays and Thursdays. Not everyone plays every time, but we usually have 5-6 foursomes. Every Thursday from April to November is pre planned, with course and who is responsible for getting tee times assigned. Mondays are more random. Low net on Monday books the following Monday at the course of their choice. We all buy a Tee Time Discount book. It pays for itself in 2 weeks.

I'm a bogey golfer. Now that I am retired, I play more....not better, just more. It's just a relaxed time for all. When I first retired I took a job in the pro shop at Dicks Sporting Goods. I was a certified Ping, Titleist, Callaway, and TaylerMade fitter. I learned a lot about the game from my manager, a former Nike tour pro. Artificial knee and Achilles have taken all my power away, but its still fun to be on the links.

If anyone wants insight on courses in the Southeastern PA area, let me know. Otherwise, I will enjoy watching the banter here.


#16 from yesterday. Hickory Valley - Ambassador course
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d6&oe=57C02A2B

jjquantz 04-19-2016 03:40 PM

Welcome, PapaBear!

gcgang 04-19-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 1720657)
Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts. I've been playing this course for 30 years or so and it is my first one on this hole. Overall, it is the forth in my lifetime.

Congrats. Never had one in my 50+ years of golfing. Ive witnessed 5 of them.

Have a friend in his 70s, plays LOTS of golf, was almost scratch in his prime. Never had one until 2 years ago, then he made another 2 weeks later.

pb4uski 04-19-2016 06:18 PM

Closest that I have ever come was about 3" on a long, ~200 yd par three many years ago.

Last year my tee shot on the 145 yd par 3 on my home course went into the right side of the cup on the fly at ~ 3 o'clock, rimmed around the cup and exited at ~5 o'clock and shot out 20+ feet from the cup. A couple weeks later a friend had his first hole-in-one, and the first one that I have ever witnessed.

zinger1457 04-19-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 1720657)
Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts.

Congrats! Got my first one last year, it only took 45 years, hopefully the next one doesn't take so long. Check with your golf club manufacturer, some will send you a nice certificate, I got one from Ping.

Dawg52 04-19-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjquantz (Post 1720698)
Where do we meet for drinks?

I bought a couple for they guys in my immediate group but talked them into keeping their mouths shut so I wouldn't be hit up by every Tom, Dick and Harry that walked by. ;)

zinger1457 04-20-2016 07:18 AM

Kind of like an insurance policy many member clubs use part of the annual dues to cover any hole in one drink expense, as long as it happens on your home course.

Huston55 04-20-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 1720657)
Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts. I've been playing this course for 30 years or so and it is my first one on this hole. Overall, it is the forth in my lifetime.

Congrats! :dance:

I'm still waiting for my first; closest I've come is jarring an eagle approach shot from ~135 yds on a Par 4.

jkern 04-20-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 1720657)
Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts. I've been playing this course for 30 years or so and it is my first one on this hole. Overall, it is the forth in my lifetime.


Congrats!!! I had my first Ace in November of 1997 and my second Ace in February 2015.

Huston55 04-20-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBear67 (Post 1720705)
Hi all. I'm new to this thread. A fun read.

My group here in PA started "official" play the 1st Monday in April. It's a group of ~55 gents and we play on Mondays and Thursdays. Not everyone plays every time, but we usually have 5-6 foursomes. Every Thursday from April to November is pre planned, with course and who is responsible for getting tee times assigned. Mondays are more random. Low net on Monday books the following Monday at the course of their choice. We all buy a Tee Time Discount book. It pays for itself in 2 weeks.

I'm a bogey golfer. Now that I am retired, I play more....not better, just more. It's just a relaxed time for all. When I first retired I took a job in the pro shop at Dicks Sporting Goods. I was a certified Ping, Titleist, Callaway, and TaylerMade fitter. I learned a lot about the game from my manager, a former Nike tour pro. Artificial knee and Achilles have taken all my power away, but its still fun to be on the links.

If anyone wants insight on courses in the Southeastern PA area, let me know. Otherwise, I will enjoy watching the banter here.


#16 from yesterday. Hickory Valley - Ambassador course
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d6&oe=57C02A2B

Welcome PapaBear!

I also play with a weekly golf group that rotates btwn several courses in our area; normally 3-5 foursomes, rotating btwn 10-15 courses. I enjoy it very much, both the variety of courses and playing partners.

Happy to have you participating in this thread. Looking forward to your contributions.

RockyMtn 04-25-2016 05:09 PM

We had our season ending member/member this weekend before the snowbirds head north. My partner and I won our flight (eight flights total). We play five nine hole matches. Best ball with second ball breaking a tie. We came from 3.5 points out on the second day to win the flight.


Top two teams in each flight advance to an alternate shot shootout. Half play four holes on the front nine the other half play four holes on the back nine. Two teams eliminated each hole. In case of tie a chip off is utilized. Winners of the first four holes then meet and play our 18th hole until a winner is determined.


We had a net 3 on the first hole (par 5, we birdied and we had a stroke) , bogeyed the second (par 3), had a net 3 on the 3rd (par 4 with a stroke) to advance to the fourth hole. Us and a couple of 83 year olds would play the 4th hole to advance to the finals. We had net 3 on the 4th hole (also a par 4 where we had a stroke). The older guys had a great 5 and with their two strokes tied us with a net 3. On to the chip off where they nosed us out by 8 inches.


The older guys went on to win the whole thing on the par 5 18th! Beat a couple of bombers who had a five and the older guys scratched out a 5 and had a stroke. Great to see. One of them had been playing in this tourney for 33 years!


Great weekend. Shootout was a bit nerve wracking but I hit good shots under the pressure and in front of a sizable crowd of onlookers. Won about $450 for the weekend which was icing on the cake!

Big_Hitter 04-25-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtn (Post 1723560)
Great weekend. Shootout was a bit nerve wracking but I hit good shots under the pressure and in front of a sizable crowd of onlookers. Won about $450 for the weekend which was icing on the cake!

good job - alt shot shootouts are full of pressure

Big_Hitter 05-05-2016 10:22 AM

We won first gross in our flight last weekend during the member/member. First day best ball second day scramble. It was a brutal grind and I think my swing deteriorated as a result.


What do you guys do to get rid of longdrivitis? I need a cure aslap.

RockyMtn 05-05-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 1727304)
We won first gross in our flight last weekend during the member/member. First day best ball second day scramble. It was a brutal grind and I think my swing deteriorated as a result.


What do you guys do to get rid of longdrivitis? I need a cure aslap.

Besides not playing in scrambles??? Try half swings with the driver...also, tempo, tempo, tempo.

Big_Hitter 05-05-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMtn (Post 1727325)
Besides not playing in scrambles??? Try half swings with the driver...also, tempo, tempo, tempo.

yeah that's when it went downhill...

Big_Hitter 05-06-2016 09:46 AM

okay, my league partner fixed me - poor stance causing poor rotation - fixed

however, a 21 handicapper shot a 41 on us last night we got spanked >:(

Huston55 05-06-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 1727686)
however, a 21 handicapper shot a 41 on us last night we got spanked >:(

Sounds like his HI needs a "Pope of Slope" adjustment. :trash:

jjquantz 05-06-2016 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 1727686)
okay, my league partner fixed me - poor stance causing poor rotation - fixed

however, a "21 handicapper" shot a 41 on us last night we got spanked >:(

FIFY

gcgang 05-13-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcgang (Post 1669528)
Try the "pump" drill. Swing to full backswing, "pump" down to where your lead (left) arm is inside your left thigh, WITHOUT UNCOCKING YOUR WRISTS. club should point down target line, and be parallel to the ground. Repeat total of three "pumps", hit the (practice) ball on the fourth downswing.


I took first lesson in about ten years this summer. Pro said I was swinging 9 degrees in to out, causing looped drives and block rights. Also strengthened my grip. Pump drill has changed my swing path to be more down the line, and increased distance thru the better delayed release. But the "old" swing still mysteriously appears some days.

Swing update: was playing well back in February, getting ready for Club Championship. 6 rounds between 73-77. Got invited to the new Makena course. Makena was going broke, got bot out by new owners. They shut the course down, redid it, completely HAND SEEDING the whole place. Took 3 years to reopen. To join, you need to buy property. Lots start at $2mm.

Anyways, we're warming up on the driving range, where the grass was so perfect I felt like I was hitting off a putting green. My friend says, there's Jerry, our Director of Golf. He was a Golf mag top ten teaching pro at Kapalua Academy. Why don't you have him take a look at your swing?

I'm hitting it great. So I think, sure Jerry, watch and marvel at this beautiful swing. He watches me stripe two 5 irons and says, you do a good job compensating. Huh? Then he shows me how I set up with the club 20 degrees closed. I bet your misses are hooks left, he correctly says. He shows me what square looks like. Before I can digest these comments, we tee off.

I was ruined for the Club C, and went 15 rounds barely ever breaking 80, index going from 2.0 to 5.1. But I think I'm getting it now. The closed club face was something I needed with my old inside out swing. Now I'm more down the line, the truly square club face allows me to actually hit a fade if I need it. Last three rounds have been 75-73-71.

Now I should probably quit until I go back to Montana for the summer, so I don't ruin my handicap for the big money games there. Lol. But I won't.

Dawg52 05-13-2016 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Any golfers here watch the Player's Championship yesterday? How did you like Ricky Fowler's new shoes?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.