Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2015-2020-a-78866.html)

jjquantz 11-04-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 1796964)
that's why I try not to play public courses - i hate when crap like that (giving lessons on the course, newbs, slow play) goes on. Even with a marshall it doesn't help that much

guess I'm a country club snob

although I did play two public courses last month, we get to play them for $10 since our back 9 is under construction - pace of play was actually great, one of the munis had a super awesome beverage cart server too

If only a country club was a sure solution. :facepalm: I'm on a "trial separation" from my club. It had gotten to the point that with the women's 9-hole league (Monday), the women's 18 hole league (Tuesday) and the retiree's league (Thursday), that a 5-hour round had pretty much become standard on those weekday mornings and because they all have a shotgun start there was no way play before they did. So you were stuck with a 10 or 10:30 tee time and a 5 hour round. Saturday morning was basically guaranteed to be 4.5 hours and because we had a woman in our group we couldn't tee off before 11:00. There were also several groups who basically had a "the h*ell with anyone else, I'm taking 5 hours to play and no, I'm not letting anyone play through" attitude. I've played something like 20 courses on a regular basis over the years and each course seems to develop its own culture regarding pace of play. Some are just willing to accept slow play and others aren't.

I'm trying out a public course where I can tee off as part of the 3rd group of the day and play in 3 hours. The course conditions are not as good (although the strategic layout of the course is better). Right now, I feel like I've gotten several hours of my life back each day. Pace of play isn't everything, but a round of golf doesn't need to be a full-day investment. Plus I'm saving something like $6K a year in fees. I'm trying this for a year and we'll see what I think when play picks up in the spring.

Big_Hitter 11-04-2016 11:10 AM

guess I need to post in the "lucky" thread that we have a really good pace of play, generally

tournaments and league? those take forever

my buddy and I played 9 holes in an hour Tuesday after w*rk

zinger1457 11-04-2016 02:04 PM

We have an old timers group that goes off first thing every Tuesday and Thursday, it's at least a 4.5 hour round so I avoid those days. The pace of play is usually very good on the other days, very fast if you're off in the first hour. It's a public course with annual memberships available, mostly regulars play here.

Big_Hitter 11-04-2016 02:06 PM

the old guys at my club (aka the dewsweepers) play pretty fast. Each guy has his own cart though. :o

Huston55 11-19-2016 09:25 AM

I played Wente Vinyards for the first time this week. What a beautiful course!

I lost only one ball, which I'm quite proud of on this course. And, what the guy in the pro shop said is correct: the back is definitely harder than the front. But, fantastic views from everywhere and the course was in excellent condition. It's more difficult than the courses I usually play but, I'd definitely go back.

jkern 11-19-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 1802932)
I played Wente Vinyards for the first time this week. What a beautiful course!

I lost only one ball, which I'm quite proud of on this course. And, what the guy in the pro shop said is correct: the back is definitely harder than the front. But, fantastic views from everywhere and the course was in excellent condition. It's more difficult than the courses I usually play but, I'd definitely go back.

I haven't played at Wente for a while, but I've always liked it. Great condition, originally 12 minutes tee time spacing, and nice views. It's very challenging. The vineyards use to be OB, they might be lateral hazards now.

About 12 years ago, I had one of the best rounds of my life there. I shot a 74 from the 6900+ yard tees. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Huston55 11-19-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkern (Post 1803028)
I haven't played at Wente for a while, but I've always liked it. Great condition, originally 12 minutes tee time spacing, and nice views. It's very challenging. The vineyards use to be OB, they might be lateral hazards now.

About 12 years ago, I had one of the best rounds of my life there. I shot a 74 from the 6900+ yard tees. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

That's fantastic!

I'd remember that too. :dance:

jkern 11-20-2016 11:04 AM

Last week I played Metropolitan in Oakland and hit 17 greens in regulation. A personal best for me. Unfortunately the greens were slow and bumpy and didn't allow me to have a good putting day.

Huston55 11-30-2016 05:07 PM

Maui Golf
 
2 Attachment(s)
Just returned from Maui, where I was able to get in three rounds:
- Kaanapali Royal
- Kapalua Plantation
- King Kamehameha

All excellent courses, with Plantation & KK standouts in my opinion.

This was my first time playing Plantation, and I got to see all her teeth: 30-35 mph winds & horizontal rain. But, I still loved it.

I had the good fortune to hook up with Gary G (E-R.org member), who got me on KK as a guest. KK is a great course which is a bit upcountry, where you can see the water in the distance on both sides of Maui. It's also in great shape & has a stunning Frank Lloyd Wright designed clubhouse. Not my best round but, not too terrible, and I had a fun time. Thanks again Gary!

KK is the first pic below, and Plantation is the second pic.

garyt 11-30-2016 08:12 PM

Nice!

Dawg52 12-01-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 1797051)
the old guys at my club (aka the dewsweepers) play pretty fast. Each guy has his own cart though. :o

That's the way it is at my club. The old guys are the fastest players on the course. I play with them sometimes and love the pace of play. Unfortunately they are dew sweepers as you say. So I don't play with them much during the Summer. But this time of the year they play around 10 a.m. so I join them more.

Huston55 12-15-2016 07:12 PM

Low Compression Balls for Distance
 
Interested in hearing suggestions for balls that you think will give me a bit of extra distance without feeling like I'm hitting rock, and still provide some control around the green. My swing speed is 90-95.

Here are some I've tried:

Bridgestone B330Rx
Bridgestone Fix
Title isn't ProV1x
Wilson Duo
Callaway Chrome Soft
Srixon ZStar
Taylor Made Project (a)
Precept Laddie (currently trying)

Can't say I've really noticed any distance improvement from any of them.

pb4uski 12-15-2016 07:59 PM

I don't notice a difference in balls. I occasionally find some higher end balls (ChromeSoft, ProV1x, etc) and don't notice a difference between them and the lower level Titleist models that I usually play.

As they say... its not the clubs... and I suspect that its not the balls either.

golfnut 12-15-2016 08:09 PM

I really like the Callaway Supersofts. I get very good distance with them. They are not bad around the greens but I usually play run up wedge shots.

zinger1457 12-15-2016 08:33 PM

Doubt you'll notice a big difference just by changing the ball, Titleist claims there is only about a 5 yard difference between the distance of their shortest and longest ball for any swing speed. During a recent PGA event telecast they talked about a PGA pro who claimed he increased his driver distance by 20 yards just by getting his driver 'tuned' properly using the 'TrackMan launch monitor', and that was without any increase in swing speed. Apparently he needed a much higher launch angle to maximize his driver distance.

Huston55 12-15-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 1812615)
Doubt you'll notice a big difference just by changing the ball, Titleist claims there is only about a 5 yard difference between the distance of their shortest and longest ball for any swing speed. During a recent PGA event telecast they talked about a PGA pro who claimed he increased his driver distance by 20 yards just by getting his driver 'tuned' properly using the 'TrackMan launch monitor', and that was without any increase in swing speed. Apparently he needed a much higher launch angle to maximize his driver distance.

Thx. I was fitted for my driver about 4 mos ago so, I think that's probably close to optimum. My driving is reliable (70% +/- fairways) but, not very long @ 220-240 yds). One of the main things I'm looking for with a bit more distance off the tee is to have shorter irons into long Par 4s.

Dwhit 12-15-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 1812579)
Interested in hearing suggestions for balls that you think will give me a bit of extra distance without feeling like I'm hitting rock, and still provide some control around the green. My swing speed is 90-95.

Here are some I've tried:

Bridgestone B330Rx
Bridgestone Fix
Title isn't ProV1x
Wilson Duo
Callaway Chrome Soft
Srixon ZStar
Taylor Made Project (a)
Precept Laddie (currently trying)

Can't say I've really noticed any distance improvement from any of them.

I haven't found any given brand that gives extra distance on a consistent basis. But every once in a while I will use (or find) a ball that seems to perform better than others. It's different brands and seems sort of random. I can remember a Pro V or two that was that way. The last one I had was a Slazenger. I hit it a ton. Eventually, I lost it, so I tried a different Slazenger ball, and it seemed to play shorter than most every other ball in my bag. I think the search for extra distance is an eternal struggle.

Big_Hitter 12-16-2016 08:55 AM

I played Wilson Staff 50s last year. Longer than the Duo and Laddie which I normally play.

HFWR 12-16-2016 03:58 PM

Using a longer distance ball just means I hit the ball further into the woods...

Big_Hitter 12-16-2016 04:06 PM

yeah but it's a LOT easier for me to make par when I'm holding a wedge or a 9-iron versus a 6 or 5 iron

distance is a huge thing in golf - most of the low handicappers at my club can spank it 275+ every time


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.