Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2015-2020-a-78866.html)

Music Lover 03-12-2018 12:19 PM

Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes. :facepalm: :laugh:

jjquantz 03-12-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2024527)
Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes. :facepalm: :laugh:

Oh, so now you are a great partner for better ball play.:coolsmiley:

Music Lover 03-12-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjquantz (Post 2024539)

If you need a 14 handicap in your scramble, I'm the guy you want :laugh:

Huston55 03-12-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjquantz (Post 2024539)

We golfers all love an optimist! ;D

Big_Hitter 03-12-2018 02:52 PM

saw JCretire77 yesterday

told him I was thinking about you guys after I was one over after 5 holes, damn mean reversion :laugh:

jjquantz 03-20-2018 07:59 AM

Yesterday I put up with a 1.5 hour frost delay so that I could get at least one round in during March. Course was actually in amazingly good shape considering the very cool spring we've had. Today we've got rain and tomorrow we expect accumulating snow. Ah, spring.

Shot a smooth 77, 1 over on the last 13 holes after a rough start. A typical early season, low expectation round. Next time I'll expect a good score, always a mistake, and we'll see how things end up.

golfnut 03-20-2018 08:06 AM

Off to Orlando on Friday for a bunch of golf rounds. Hopefully, my old body can handle it. Been hittin' the gym the last couple of months to get ready.:coolsmiley:

Music Lover 03-20-2018 09:01 AM

I'm not sure if anyone had posted this yet. The USGA and R&A have agreed on rule changes to take place starting in 2019. Among the new rules:

- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball during search
- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball on putting green
- eliminating penalty for hitting flagstick when putting
- relief area for dropped balls to be a fixed distance rather than club lengths
- dropping a ball from at least 1" above ground instead of shoulder height
- reduce lost ball search to 3 minutes from 5
- free relief for embedded ball anywhere on the course (except the sand)
- allowing the repair of spike marks on the green
- no penalty for accidentally touching sand in a bunker
- distance measuring devices are now allowed

Full list: Proposed changes to the Rules of Golf | Golf Channel

Midpack 03-20-2018 10:27 AM

^^ As many know, there have been several changes since the above. IMO most of the changes are most welcome.

New Rules of Golf unveiled, set for 2019 debut | Golfweek

Huston55 03-20-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midpack (Post 2028087)
^^ as many know, there have been several changes since the above. imo most of the changes are most welcome.

new rules of golf unveiled, set for 2019 debut | golfweek

+1 🏌️ ⛳️

HadEnuff 03-22-2018 07:28 PM

Interesting day today...40degrees F, with a 20 mph wind. My brother, 3 days shy of his 70th birthday, hit the 2nd hole, a par 5, in two, and sunk the eagle putt. Two holes later, on the tee, a Bald Eagle flew over our heads, only 50 feet or so above us.

I set a personal best for nine holes, 6 pars and 3 birdies for a nice crisp 33. What a day!

pb4uski 03-25-2018 11:40 AM

I've been really enjoying the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play tournament on TV.... gotta love match play... fun to watch.

Dawg52 03-25-2018 06:13 PM

Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.

Huston55 03-26-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 2030283)
Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.

I like scrambles. How did you handicap your teams?

Big_Hitter 03-26-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2030444)

Scramble Handicap Calculator

Dawg52 03-26-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2030444)

We make our own team and enter the tourney. Ages(men) under 55 played from the regular team, age 55-69 senior tees and 70 on up from super senior tees. Women(not many) played from the ladies tees. Women and men can be on the same team, no separate flight for women teams. After the first round the teams are flighted by the team score. No handicaps involved. Handicaps are rarely used around here. Of course the way teams are flighted in events like this.....sandbagging can occur. But people cheat on handicaps too so nothing is perfect. This was a very casual tournament just to kick off the tournament season.

Dawg52 04-05-2018 03:07 PM

Enjoying watching the Masters. Kind of bummed that I can't stream it in 4k as could be done last year. First year with my 4k tv and was looking forward to it but Direct TV apparently bought exclusive rights to it this year. Still pretty in 1080 hd tho. Sergio carded a 13 on a par 5 today. Tied for the highest score ever on a hole there. Pretty embarrassing for a defending champion.

Midpack 04-05-2018 04:03 PM

I’m enjoying watching too. Even the par 3 contest yesterday with Nicklaus’ 15 yo grandson scoring his first hole in one at Augusta with a gallery on TV. For me there isn’t a better event in sport than the back nine on Sunday afternoon at The Masters - not the Super Bowl, the World Series, the World Cup or anything else.

If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I don’t think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience you’ll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after you’ve seen the place. Magic.

And you don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this short video. Charming.

https://youtu.be/eA9XyWMjdyg

zinger1457 04-05-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2034692)
If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I donít think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience youíll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after youíve seen the place. Magic.

I've been putting my name into the yearly Masters ticket lottery since it started, for both practice days and tournament rounds, but no luck. Sounds like the Masters is also putting their foot down on resale tickets, if you buy a ticket resale you may not know until you get to the gate if it's a valid ticket or not.

Masters tickets: Looking to buy or sell pre-owned tickets? Buyers and sellers, beware! | Golf.com

Dawg52 04-05-2018 05:54 PM

I've been lucky enough to go 6 times. All practice rounds. Won the lottery pick twice and went with others who won tickets. My first time was the last time w/o a lottery. You just showed up and paid $10. There were so many people I understand why they had to go to the lottery. Now I'm only applying to the Thurs-Sunday rounds. Would like to see a real round once, but odds are against me.

On one trip my group got there the Sunday before Master's week. We went to Tbonz Steakhouse in Augusta and low and behold Darren Clarke, Lee Westwood and Thomas Bjorn were all there. Met them at the bar as we waited on a table. They were incredibly nice.