Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2015-2020-a-78866.html)

Dawg52 05-20-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauAnn (Post 2051224)
For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?

I've never heard of anyone winning more than one day of tickets. If you did win multiple days, they would be easy to sell.

zinger1457 05-20-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcretire77 (Post 2051085)
What is your favorite golf glove? I like the Bionic Stablegrip. Tried a few others and they are fine, FootJoy, Titleist. I like the Bionic for more padding.


IMO it would be hard to find a better deal than the 4 pack of Callaway leather gloves that Costco sells for $25. Nice and soft and seem to last a long time.

DFDubb 05-23-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauAnn (Post 2051224)
For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?

I can't answer this directly, but I do have a recommendation. Get as many as you can get if selected. I was selected this year and got 4 tickets for like a Tuesday practice round I think. I wasn't going to take the time off work for that (I've been to the Masters before) and sold them on StubHub for $550 A PIECE!

Dawg52 05-23-2018 08:36 AM

Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.

Huston55 05-23-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 2052140)
Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.

I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.

RockyMtn 05-23-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2051233)
IMO it would be hard to find a better deal than the 4 pack of Callaway leather gloves that Costco sells for $25. Nice and soft and seem to last a long time.

+1

Big_Hitter 05-23-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2052143)
I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.

it is nice - one of my buddies called last night at 730 pm for an "emergency nine" which we finished by dark

Midpack 05-23-2018 12:43 PM

Going through a major swing change, and it's painful WRT scoring, two weeks in so far. I am convinced it will be best in the long run, so I am sticking with it even though it seems VERY unnatural after decades of 'doing it wrong,' Kinda embarrassing in league play, like this morning, but I guess it'll make me some money with an inflated handicap for a while (not much $ involved fortunately). I wish I could blame sandbagging, but I honestly can't :blush:

Patience...

Music Lover 05-23-2018 08:48 PM

I'm gonna brag a bit :) I played yesterday...2nd game following a block of lessons.

Prior to the lessons my average drive was about 220. Yesterday, I hit a drive 270 right down the middle...the longest drive in my life that didn't bounce off an asphalt cart path. :biggrin: Unfortunately, I hit past the group in front (I yelled fore) and made sure to apologize when we caught up to them.

3 other drives were 250+ and I was able to enjoy approaching the greens with 3 less clubs than normal. There's a huge difference hitting an 8-iron instead of a 5-iron. :)

Of course, to balance that out there were a few chunks and skulls, but overall I feel that I'm on track.

pb4uski 05-23-2018 08:53 PM

Wow... that is a huge difference... what changes did you make?

Huston55 05-23-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2052434)
Wow... that is a huge difference... what changes did you make?

Yes, do tell!

Music Lover 05-24-2018 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2052434)
Wow... that is a huge difference... what changes did you make?

I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.

Big_Hitter 05-24-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2052476)
I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.

were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it. :o

jkern 05-24-2018 09:20 AM

For all Northern CA golfers, I played Eagle Vines near Napa yesterday and would definitely play it again. Golf Moose has vouchers for $99 for two players

Music Lover 05-24-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 2052516)
were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it. :o

I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.

Big_Hitter 05-24-2018 09:33 AM

I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.

Music Lover 05-24-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 2052561)
I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.

Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron :laugh:

Huston55 05-24-2018 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2052558)
I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.

250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! Id have no complaints at all about that.

Dawg52 05-24-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2052569)
Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron :laugh:

I remember hitting similar clubs on par 5's in the past. Better equipment has certainly helped. I'm hitting my driver further than I did 20 years ago. I have never been a 300 yard driver, not unless I had a strong wind behind me and hit a sprinkler head. Today I drive the ball a good 20 yards further than in my younger days. That is not the case with my irons tho. If not for stronger lofts on today's irons, I would be down a several yards per club. In reality, irons should have degrees stamped on the bottom of the club instead of a club number.

Big_Hitter 05-24-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2052585)
250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! I’d have no complaints at all about that.

interesting - looks like I'm in the 100mph club, according to the iron distances anyway


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.