Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some 3 layer Kirkland balls last week on ebay. Ended up getting 4 dozen 5A balls (all in perfect condition). Played Friday with them. Cannot give a fair evaluation of them because I played like cr#p. However, did play the most difficult course in the area (6700 yds. 134 slope) and fairways were real wet. No roll for my weak pea drives.

There is probably something to be said to stick with the same type of ball for consistency, especially with how it reacts around the green (pitching/chipping/putting). Even very good players would likely struggle if playing a high spinning ball one day and a low spinner the next.

On balls, I usually play a lower level nonProV Titleist.... but I tried the new Kirkland ball ($24 for two dozen) and I actually like them.

i've been playing wilson chaos - they are kind of long

Sun Hat

I was looking at this hat:

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/t...MIpsTu-aCl4gIVnLjACh3gCgSUEAQYAyABEgK3jvD_BwE

Couple questions. Anyone use a full brim hat? I’ve never used anything other than a “baseball” cap and I’m a little worried about the dork factor of wearing one. However, I’d like to get my ears cover from the sun. Just went to the dermatologist and had a spot on my ear that needed removed. Not a big deal but, a reminder to be aware of sun on my ears.

Second, any recommendations? I like the look of the Titleist hat, but kind of pricy and not sure about the fit and comfort. Are any of these adjustable?

Second, any recommendations? I like the look of the Titleist hat, but kind of pricy and not sure about the fit and comfort. Are any of these adjustable?

After spending too many years ignoring the sun I finally wised up and bought a full brim hat, but I'd never buy one without trying it on for fit and looking in the mirror to see how dorky it made me look.

I've since upgraded, but for a few years a $3 dollar store hat worked just fine. I do recommend a strap or lace to hold it in place for when you're playing on windy days.

I tried using my Tilley hat (also available at pgatoursuperstore) while playing golf but found it too annoying during windy days which is the norm around here. If wind isn't a big issue they should work fine. The benefit of a Tilley style hat is that they come in many sizes for a custom fit and will last many years, I've had mine for >10 years and it's still in great shape, use it all the time while hiking. If you buy one and it doesn't fit right you can ship it back to Tilley and they will send you a different size.

Last edited:
I was looking at this hat:

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/t...MIpsTu-aCl4gIVnLjACh3gCgSUEAQYAyABEgK3jvD_BwE

Couple questions. Anyone use a full brim hat? I’ve never used anything other than a “baseball” cap and I’m a little worried about the dork factor of wearing one. However, I’d like to get my ears cover from the sun. Just went to the dermatologist and had a spot on my ear that needed removed. Not a big deal but, a reminder to be aware of sun on my ears.

I prefer cap style, but occasionally wear a full brim hat to protect my self from the hot Florida sun. They are ok. I think the gambler style straw hats are better looking than my floppy hat. A couple friends have some that look pretty sharp.

The thing I don't like about my floppier one is that it flops around too much in the wind... I think the stiffer one would behave better.

18WHGMWHGMBLRSTRWAPA_Black

I wear a full brimmed hat, with the full support & encouragement of my dermatologist. I recommend one that breathes (likely straw or vented), has a good UV rating, and is durable. Mine has a chin strap but I almost never wear it because it fits snugly on my head.

I tried using my Tilley hat (also available at pgatoursuperstore) while playing golf but found it too annoying during windy days which is the norm around here. If wind isn't a big issue they should work fine. The benefit of a Tilley style hat is that they come in many sizes for a custom fit and will last many years, I've had mine for >10 years and it's still in great shape, use it all the time while hiking. If you buy one and it doesn't fit right you can ship it back to Tilley and they will send you a different size.
I've found the Shelta hat be better than a Tilley for any activity in the wind, and a little cheaper - mine is the Seahawk model. It has a VERY stiff "no flop brim" in the front, so wind doesn't bother it no matter how hard it's blowing. They were developed for kayaking, I bought one for sailing (often much more wind than golf), and wear it for golf all the time too. Shelta hats also come in 5 sizes. Best choice for me and I've owned several Tilley's and knock offs.

https://www.sheltahats.com/

brim-tech.jpg

Last edited:
I've found the Shelta hat be better than a Tilley for any activity in the wind, and a little cheaper - mine is the Seahawk model. It has a VERY stiff "no flop brim" in the front, so wind doesn't bother it no matter how hard it's blowing.

For me the flopping is only half the problem, the hat wanting to lift off in high winds is the other. The neck cord keeps it secure but I still find it bothersome when golfing, especially during the middle of a swing.

Someone modified one of the famous signs at Bethpage...

Attachments

• 38AC4967-A38E-4FC8-A04A-5A148A777CC8.jpg
    38AC4967-A38E-4FC8-A04A-5A148A777CC8.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 21
First time out on a real (sort of) course in 30 years. Only 9 holes on an executive par 3 (120-200 yards) but did OK. After a slow start my last 4 holes were 3 pars and a bogey; ended up with a 38. No three putts. Best shot was worthy of Tiger, a 180 yard 3 wood to four feet. Of course, Tiger would be using an 8 iron. But then pulled a Scott Hoch and missed the downhill birdie putt. Looking forward to getting out at least once a week now that I retired in March.

Yes he is. Unfortunately total domination makes for a boring tourney.

I think it ended up being a bit more interesting than Mr. Koepka intended. :D

Nonetheless, he settled in just as it looked as if the wheels were coming off.

13 HI here and I agree that most golfers can use cheaper alternative to $5 balls. I use most any ball I find in the course. The only ones I don't play are ones with cuts or large scuff marks. If I am in tournament though, I will play straight ball (e.g, Bridgestone E6).

Of late, I have been playing erratically, 80's one day and 90's the next. Soon, I don't think I can claim I have 13 HI. :(

You are not alone. My play has dropped off for the last 4 to 6 weeks. Driving, irons and putting have all experienced some ups and downs. I'll just have to play more golf :).

Got some 3 layer Kirkland balls last week on ebay. Ended up getting 4 dozen 5A balls (all in perfect condition). Played Friday with them. Cannot give a fair evaluation of them because I played like cr#p. However, did play the most difficult course in the area (6700 yds. 134 slope) and fairways were real wet. No roll for my weak pea drives.

I've played with these balls for several rounds. I find them to perform reasonably well. Some people find them to be a little short on iron shots. I haven't really noticed this and if they are it's not enough to change clubs.

I think they are a tier below the best balls, but for $1 per ball you can't go wrong.

Someone modified one of the famous signs at Bethpage...

No Tiger sighting ....

Didn't end up watching the tournament due to travelling but I think the tournament was over after the 2nd round.

Went to range to work on my two worst clubs - 5 iron & 3 wood. Every time I see my 3 wood club, I want to do a Bo Jackson on it. Neither club worked well in the range but I guess that is why I only brought those two clubs.

Tomorrow, I will conquer my home course, a bad range practice or not. :mad:

First time out on a real (sort of) course in 30 years. Only 9 holes on an executive par 3 (120-200 yards) but did OK. After a slow start my last 4 holes were 3 pars and a bogey; ended up with a 38. No three putts. Best shot was worthy of Tiger, a 180 yard 3 wood to four feet. Of course, Tiger would be using an 8 iron. But then pulled a Scott Hoch and missed the downhill birdie putt. Looking forward to getting out at least once a week now that I retired in March.

Welcome.

That’s great after a 30 yr absence!

There have been discussions here on quality of golf balls people use. Here is an interesting comparison of refurbished & new Pro V1 balls.

There have been discussions here on quality of golf balls people use. Here is an interesting comparison of refurbished & new Pro V1 balls.

Didn't watch the video but did purchase a dozen Pro V1 refinished/refurbished balls one time and wasn't impressed. I'm fairly certain that some of the balls were not Pro V1's by how they reacted on the greens with wedge shots and chipping. If I wanted to save some money on Pro V1's I would look at the practice Pro V1 balls sold in some golf stores for $29. Titleist claims these will function 100% like a new ball but may have some cosmetic issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom