Where would you put extra cash to generate income

jhbstp

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am 1 year from ER and need advice where to put $1.5 million to generate income.
We already have $3.5 million in equities, but sitting on too much cash.
DW retired last year at 52 yrs and I will be 60 next year.
We have kept track of expenses for the past year and looks like we need approx 135,000 for annual expenses.
We still have a 15 yr old daughter at home. House is paid for and worth 600k, we also have 1 rental that we generate 700.00 per month profit.

Any advice on where to put the cash would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Lots of places to park cash.... It's the generating income party that is hard. You could ladder CDs, or buy TIPs.... But that isn't a lot of income.

Unless there's a compelling reason to do something different I suggest start with target asset allocation based on your own inputs and treat the money as all the same. So if you're 60/35/5 or 40/40/20 or whatever.

The other 1.5m feels different but it isn't really :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

So right now you are 70/30 or 70/0/30. Are you comfortable with that AA?

If so, what I would do is put 250k in an online savings account (mine earns .95%) and arrange a monthly $11k transfer to the bank account you use to pay your bills. Then invest the remaining $1,250k in CDs or target maturity bond funds or target maturity muni bond funds if you are in a high tax bracket.

If once you ER you change your equity elections to take dividends in cash rather than reinvest dividends then between dividend income and the $250k cash allocation you should be able to live on those for 3-4 years if the stuff hit the fan and you needed to.

Back
Top Bottom