Tax Free Charitable Retirement Distributions Made Permenant

Hermit

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got a notice from my accountant that the The "Tax Extenders Package" has passed Congress and will be signed by the President. This package extends some tax incentives and makes others permanent. Among others tax payers that are at least 70 1/2 can donate their required distributions from retirement accounts up to $100k each year tax free. This rule has become permanent. If I understand this rule correctly, those charitable donations will not count toward income and will help keep things like Medicare income under the break point for increased monthly costs. Anyone know more on the details?

I think this change will make my life easier for tax planning purposes and possibly save quite a few bucks in Medicare costs once I reach 70 1/2. :)

I read the Kitces article. The RMD donated to charity must come from an IRA. Most of my retirement money is in a 401k. I think I get kicked out of the 401k at 70 1/2 and will have to roll the money into an IRA. That will work nicely for this purpose and I currently have enough in an IRA to cover the year I turn 70 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom