It takes a village

grasshopper

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A neighbor was just diagnosed with ALS, I just get goosebumps from the kindness and generosity of the community where I live, a place where we take care of our own.

Dear Friends and Neighbors,
This is the first news update about our neighbors. There are two wonderful news items: first, the Portal-Rodeo community has generously donated more than $6,000 to our neighbors, more than double the original request. These funds will pay for all the materials needed for the home adaptations and will also provide funds for future expenses such as additional adaptations to their home and travel for medical consultations. Our neighbors are grateful to the community for this support. Second, in spite of chilly weather over the Thanksgiving weekend, the ramp to our neighbor's home was completed! You can see photos below of several stages of progress (I hope they are right-side-up; it is hard for me to tell while composing this message). Our neighbors thank the neighborhood carpenters for building the ramp and the many members of our community who donated food, time, and items to help with the home modifications. Our neighbors are in Tucson this week consulting with the ALS clinic at the University of Arizona and they will send a message when they return.
Thanks to all for your support of our neighbors.
A neighbor
On behalf of our neighbors

Village.JPG

That's awesome. Glad to see these kinds of things going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This is one of the most important answers to "where should I retire to?" - a community

It's heart-warming that the neighbors do all that, but also a bit sad that they had to ask the neighbors for money.

Back
Top Bottom